Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Tinker

No, but at least I have a better idea of where to look, thanks to you, as researching family in the U.S. is almost virgin territory for me. I'm beginning to realise just how lucky we are in the UK to have so much detailed documentation on our ancestors' lives!

It occurred to me last night that 'Harvey' could have been transcribed as 'Harry' quite easily if the original death registration was handwritten, so it's possible that my man is the Harvey A. Wells living in Eureka, Greenwood. I'll check how far that is from Spring Hill, Miami, in a sec.

pippycat

Eureka, Greenwood county KS approx 123 miles south of Spring Hill, Miami (via google)

Just wonder if the A might possibly be Albert?

Rebecca
    Last edited by pippycat; 20-03-2012 at 8:55 AM. Reason: additional info.

Tinker

Thanks, Rebecca. I managed to find a simplified image of the counties of Kansas. There are several, diagonally separating Greenwood and Miami in a patchwork sort of fashion, but then I suppose people moved huge distances back then. I read up a little on the state itself, and it seems to have been pretty wild even into the 1880s, typical Wild-West-movie style. I always had this impression of Kansas being vast acres of peaceful farmland, a la the original 'Wizard of Oz' movie, not a hotbed of warring factions!!

Is there any particular reason you think the A might stand for Albert? Mr Wells is certainly proving to be difficult to locate. I can't even seem to find William J. Wells and Louisa, "Harry's" parents, to see if the name Zoe pops up on that side, seeing as it's a fairly unusual name....

Tinker

Just checked with my husband, as he's better at translating distances into time taken...I'm pants at that...and he says it's roughly the equivalent of a three hour drive today, so probably a day's journey back then, possibly two, from one county to the other??

pippycat

Your husband is right, google had it down as just under 3 hours I think!

Im stabbing in the dark with Albert..family name maybe? thats all it is unfortunately.

I've been trying to find something, anything to help, but as you know only too well, its difficult with just initials..came across the following but no idea if they are of use to you:

Harvey Wells, son of Priscilla and William Wells b 19 june 1855 Tyler county, West Virginia

Henry A Wells, son of Mary and Jackson Wells b 15 May 1855 Mercer county, West Virginia

Henry A Wells son of Nancy and John Wells b 14 May 1855 Mercer County West Virginia

Harry Abner Wells... oh, maybe not, as this one died 1963!..unless your HA lived to a ripe old age

Do you have witness names to marriage? ...or anything else at all?

Rebecca

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi,

This Harvey Wells born about 1855 Ohio has parents William and Louisa.

1860 - Township 17 N Range 9 E - Champaign, Illinois

William Wells age 27 born Ohio
    Louisa Wells age 26 born Ohio
    Elvira Wells daughter age 7 born Ohio
    Harvey Wells son age 6 born Ohio
    George Wells son age 4 born Illinois
    Cora Wells daughter age 4/12 born Illinois
    John Norman age 22
    Julie

Hi,

1880 US has the family in Illinois with two more additions Franks Wells age 9 and Thomas Wells age 6.
    Julie

Hi,

Going Forward to 1900 Us. A William Wells age 67 born Ohio and wife and Louisa Wells age 66 born Ohio are at Bachelor Greenwood Kanas.
    Julie

bamagirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Thanks, Rebecca. I managed to find a simplified image of the counties of Kansas. There are several, diagonally separating Greenwood and Miami in a patchwork sort of fashion, but then I suppose people moved huge distances back then. I read up a little on the state itself, and it seems to have been pretty wild even into the 1880s, typical Wild-West-movie style. I always had this impression of Kansas being vast acres of peaceful farmland, a la the original 'Wizard of Oz' movie, not a hotbed of warring factions!!
    Eastern Kansas has some rolling terrain that gets to be absolutely flat west of Leavenworth to eastern Colorado. If you are on the Interstate Hwy it's an absolute snoozer, particularly when the farmland is planted in monoculture, say all wheat, or all corn, or all sunflowers. I did it once on vacation about 20 years ago. I'm glad my brother was driving.

This is one reason I think that if they had a choice they would have travelled by rail. A loaded wagon could go maybe 10-20 miles in a day depending on weather and ground conditions. A stagecoach or saddle horse might do twice that. Sorry I don't know the metric equivalent.

Are we having fun yet?
    -Barb

pippycat

Im pleading the 5th amendment just now!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast