ernesto67

Default Gunner William Robert Goulding

My grandfather served with the 96th Company, the Royal Garrison Artillery , in Fort Tigne, Malta in the first decade of the 20th century. I am searching for his service record and for the reason he left the service in or around 2013. Hope someone can help.

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

hi,,,when and where was he born?

SueNSW

He has a record on Find My Past - in British Army Service Records 1760-1915 - as William Goulding - you can buy credits to view it

Looks like he served for about six and a half years of the 8 years he initially signed up for - then must have had some sort of problem as he was unfortunately discharged for misconduct about a year after being posted to 21 Company and leaving Malta

Hope this helps a little

ernesto67

Thanks. William was born in Ballinamore, Co. Leitrim, Ireland on 23 August 1882.

ernesto67

Thanks Sue,

I'm new to this game and grateful for your help. How do I get and use credits - I'm a bit concerned that William was discharged - could this be due to illness ?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto67 View Post
    How do I get and use credits
    Since SueNSW is currently offline I'll poke my nose in and answer.

Have a look at the Payment Options page on the site findmypast.co.uk (put www. in front.) One option is to buy 60 credits for £6.95.

There are 4 images for the service record for William GOULDING born 1884 in Drumreilly, Leitrim who attested to the RGA in 1906. Attestation soldier number: 85749

It will cost 5 credits to view a brief transcription and 30 credits to view the 4 images.

hi,,As Sue said,,,he was discharged due to misconduct,not illness. next of kin on record given as father John,,,mother Kathrine,,,sister Alice of Drumreilly.

SueNSW

Thanks guys for filling in to help the OP - my daughter's getting married tomorrow - so have been AWOL - and just a flying visit now

A very quick search at the National Archives site doesn't bring up anything for 21st Company in this timescale. They were at Leith in Scotland during WW1 - so a search of local papers there might possibly give a clue to the nature of his misconduct