Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Witchypoo

Default Afghanistan medal

Can any one help me with a medal my husband has from his grandfather / great grandfather. (I hasten to add he never met this man but it was passed down to him)

This is a silver medal and on the side it has the following. 6245.Dr. C Pryer. c/3.R.A. Unfortunately there is no ribbon with it or any bars. Where does one go to find out more information

The name is Charles but the surname was spelt incorrectly. the date on the back is 1878-79-80

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Witchypoo (Colleen)

Witchypoo

Ps I cant find an appropriate place to put this on so if this is in the wrong place forgive me

Witchypoo

Thanks Graham... I wasnt sure whether to put this under Army as every thing else here is listed as a particular part of military I apprecaite the help though.

Witchypoo

Starting to feel at home

Te Ribbon is dark green with broad crimson edges. The medal was issued to all who took part in the Second Afghan war. In 1887 the Amr refused to accept a British residentand the following year raised an Army which began harassing the Indian frontier. This prompted an armed response from Britain. The Afghans were defeated in 1880.

Vossy

Witchypoo

Hi Vossy

I did wonder how comes Charles got the medal. I cant imagine him going any where as all his relatives including him was an Ag Lab

Regards

Witchypoo

Starting to feel at home

Witchypoo[/QUOTE]

It was quite common for men to go off and join up when times were hard. Several of my ancestors who appeared to be in work most of the time as ag labs or cart drivers did exactly that and ended up in various exotic places. Try the PRO for armt records

Vossy

Reputation beyond repute

The Afghanistan Medal should have Queen Victoria on one side and a column on the march with an elephant on the other side. Could be worth over £100 depending on condition.

Witchypoo

Yes it has Queen Victoria on the front and on the back is an Elephant with a Man riding it. The condition is exceptional considering but has no ribbon I think this got lost in the move acording to my husband. I am curious I would love to find out what information I can find about Charles

Colleen

Witchypoo

Hi Graham

Charles Henry Prior
    Birth 27 Feb 1853 in East Horndon, Essex, England

Hope this helps