Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disappeared

Famous for offering help & advice

There is a catholic baptism of a Catharine Millar 1832 Greenock, father Patrick, mother Susannah which sounds likely. There is also a James baptised at Greenock and there may be others. As Sue suggests, you have to play around with the search terms, spellings etc

I can't find a death for Patrick so far and as he died before civil registration started there may be no record. It may be worth also checking the 'other events' in the catholic records. I have seen place of origin in Ireland recorded there.

Are you also looking for Robert Houston's death? I'll have a look. Do you have a birth year for him? Do you have him in 1901?

griff20

I haven't found anything for certain but I did find a 70 year old Robert Houston in the 1901 census listed as an Inmate (no mention of where though, could be the same poor house his wife ended up in) his occupation is given as a Rag Gatherer and on his wife's death certificate and their marriage certificate his job is Carter. Could Rag Gatherer and Carter be the same?

Famous for offering help & advice

Different occupations but it is quite possible that he was a rag gatherer with a cart, or moved into rag gathering as he got older.

It would be useful to track him through the censuses with Catherine to see what he gave as his birth place and birth date and to have names of children if any. (You may already have done that.)

There are a lot of Robert Houstons around but only 4 deaths in Glasgow city between 1893 and 1911 for someone age 65 - 90. (and some more for after 1911 if he lived that long). (7 deaths if you include people age 60 - 65 as well)
    So with luck one of these 4 will be your Robert.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12