Richard Miller

Smile USA New York City History online forums

Hi Folks

Can anyone tell me if they know of an online forum specifically to do with the History of New York. I am interested in finding out about the artistic scene in 1948 and 1949. My father who was an Artist aged 31 was in New York at this time. He stayed at the YMCA on West 23rd Street. I would like to find out more of what he might have experienced living in New York City.

Many thanks

Richard

bamagirl

Hi, Richard.

I did some internet searching. You may be able to find a Yahoo group on this specific topic, or become a digital subscriber to the New York Times to access the complete digital archives. I'm not clear if your focus is on the community, the artist scene or what. The little bit of looking around I did makes me think your dad was in a tough neighborhood, but I could be mistaken.
    My mother's family (parents and grandparents) were living in Greenwich Village during this time frame. My grandmother was an artist and divorced. She had a job on the waterfront as a "marine decorator" to support herself.

The Gotham Center for New York History has a discussion section that looks promising:

www.
    gothamcenter.org/discussions/

Let us know what you find out.
    Regards,
    Barb

Richard Miller

Hi Barb

Thanks for your message. I have posted a message on the gothamcentre message board. I will let you know if I get any results.

Regards

Richard