Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Herbert Jaffe

Tinker

Barb, that would be great! Unfortunately that's all the info I have on Herbert. Apparently, Herbert was my friend's cousin's biological father, but the cousin's mother only revealed the details just before she died in 1999. I'm presuming the mother had a brief relationship with Herbert while he was in Mende, then Herbert went back to America without knowing his lady friend was pregnant, and got on with the rest of his life. (I'm not sure if the cousin is looking for info on Herbert just out of personal interest, or with the intention of making contact with 'long lost' family, at this stage.)

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Megan, you're a star. Your table has provided me with both his arrival in France and his departure. My friend will be over the moon! I will Google 1500 Theriot Avenue, New York, to see if that kicks up any leads then decide where to go from there.
    You may have found this too.
    I Googled the address plus Jaffe and came up with student directory for Columbia University 1934/35. The entry reads NY Jaffe, Herbert B nc 1500 Thieriot Av.

https://www.
    ebooksread.com/authors-eng/columbia-university/catalogue-volume-19341935-ulo/page-85-catalogue-volume-19341935-ulo.shtml

Seems to be there in 1936/37 too.

Tinker

Grisel, you're a genius. I hadn't thought of trying that combination! I will go off and have a look at that, and see what else there is.

Tinker

Grisel, thanks to your help, I found the Teacher's College of Columbia University website, complete with list of past alumni. Herbert B. Jaffe attained a B.S. (Bachelor of Science, I presume) in 1939, and an M.A. in 1940. Do you think the University would pass on details of past students in the form of a potted biography? I doubt they'd give out too much in the way of personal info. If I can find out what Herbert's second name is, it might help to narrow down the list of possibles, at any rate!

bamagirl

Hi, Tinker.

Here's a link to the USGenWeb Archives for New York State (note lack of www in URL):

https://
    usgwarchives.net/ny/nyfiles.htm

The search engine looks across all counties, which in NYC is helpful. I think if you keep it broad, say to just the surname, you may find some information to help you there.

There's a WWII Enlistment listing for a Herbert B Jaffe in this file from the Bronx:
    files.usgwarchives.net/ny/bronx/military/ww2/enlistment/armyenli262gmt.txt

Regards,
    Barb

Tinker

Thanks, Barb. With some rather unladylike swearing, I did eventually manage to get onto the site, and found the link, so we now know he enlisted 6 August 1941 and was definitely born in New York, rather than just 'from' there, which helps.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Tinker
    I had another look at Ancestry. Assuming that you have now definately decided that he was Herbert B Jaffe then there is an entry in the US Social Security Death Index which could be him:

Name Herbert B. Jaffe
    Birth Date 26 Apr 1916
    Death Date 7 Sep 2002
    Last Residence Roselle, Union, New Jersey

There are no Herbert B Jaffes listed in the 1920 or 1930 Census.

The 1920 Census is supposed to reflect the state of affairs as at 1 Jan 1920, so on that basis Herbert, born 1916 would be about 3 years and 9 months, so he could have been listed as 3 or 4 i.e. born 1916 or 1917. There are 3 possibles offered up in 1920:

Name: Herbert Jaffe
    Birth Year: abt 1916
    Birthplace: New York
    Home in 1920: North Hempstead, Nassau, New York
    Race: White
    Relation to Head of House: Son
    Marital Status: Single
    Father's Name: Michael Jaffe
    Father's Birthplace: Russia
    Mother's Name: Tillie Jaffe
    Mother's Birthplace: New York
    Household Members:
    Michael Jaffe 30
    Tillie Jaffe 25
    Alfred Jaffe 5
    Herbert Jaffe 4

Name: Herbert Joffe [Herbert Jaffe]
    Birth Year: abt 1916 [abt 1915]
    Home in 1920: Brooklyn Assembly District 4, Kings, New York
    Father's Name: Samual Joffe
    Mother's Name: Rebbeca Joffe
    Mother's Birthplace: Russia
    Able to Read: Yes
    Able to Write: Yes
    Samual Joffe 36
    Rebbeca Joffe 38
    George Joffe 12
    Herbert Joffe 4 [4 2/12]

Name: Herbert Jaffe [Herbert Gaff]
    Birth Year: abt 1917
    Home in 1920: Bronx Assembly District 5, Bronx, New York
    Father's Name: Nathan Jaffe
    Mother's Name: Ray Jaffe
    Mother's Birthplace: New York
    Household Members: Name Age
    Nathan Jaffe 30
    Ray Jaffe 27
    Herbert Jaffe 3
    Mildred Jaffe 2

Of these I would focuss on the last, because they are in the Bronx and he enlisted in WW2 in the Bronx. The 1940 US census is due to be published next month, so if you remind me then I can have a look in that.

The other thing to remember is that his enlistment papers say that he is single and a teacher, so that should help if anyone else looks in the 1940 census.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Tinker
    I had another look at Ancestry. Assuming that you have now definately decided that he was Herbert B Jaffe then there is an entry in the US Social Security Death Index which could be him:

Name Herbert B. Jaffe
    Birth Date 26 Apr 1916
    Death Date 7 Sep 2002
    Last Residence Roselle, Union, New Jersey
    If this is him then the US Department of Veteran 's affairs nationwide gravestone locator have him buried at Graceland Memorial Park in New Jersey
    gravelocator.cem.va.gov/j2ee/servlet/NGL_v1

All thanks to Google. Looks like you are getting ever closer!

Tinker

Thanks, Megan and Grisel. The middle initial seems to have crept in at a later date, as he doesn't seem to have used it when booking his passages to and from France. His birth year shows as 'about 1916' on those two Passenger List entries that positively identify him as 'our' man: my friend's cousin gave Herbert's birthdate as 15 May 1914 or 1915, but it's easy to misremember a year, and I'm not sure whether those details were written down, or just passed on orally by the mother.

I have come across the 'New Jersey' Herbert a couple of times, and suspect that the one I'm after is not that one, although, until I have concrete proof, I'm not writing him off just yet. I also came across Sam and Rebecca's boy in the 1920 and 1930 censuses, and wondered about him, too. If we could get his actual birth date, that might help to eliminate him, or not, as the case may be.

There are definite connections to the Bronx, and the Thieriot Avenue address also supports that as it appears in the New York passenger list and in the Columbia University Student Directory, although it's entirely possible the family was in the Brooklyn area pre-1937. I was particularly interested in a Herbert Jaffe, parents Herman and Anna, from that part of New York, who seemed to fulfil most of the criteria, but again, there isn't yet enough proof to positively identify him as the right Herbert!! I suspect the best option is to wait and see what the 1940 census has to say about our man, and hope fervently that he is still living with his mum and dad, or other easily identifiable family members. I'd be very grateful if any of you with access to Ancestry could look up the relevant details when the time comes, as I only have a sub to FMP.

Tinker

Update:
    A very belated thank you to all of you who provided me with info on Herbert Jaffe. (I had a bereavement in the family so was tied up with paperwork, etc, until recently, which is why the delay.) It turned out that Herbert B. Jaffe was the right man after all. Thanks to everyone's help, an elderly lady has made contact for the first time with the family of the father she never knew, and she is ecstatic!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12