David Annis

Default James Demaine. Melrose?

James Demaine dies in 1900. Kings Norton. Birmingham.
    Throughout most of the census's he is described as being born in Scotland. About 1847.
    Up untill now I have not been able to track him down, but recently I have seen a reference suggesting that he was born in Melrose, on the Scottish borders. If anyone has access to the records in the area or may even have come across James's family, I would be grateful. The name Demaine could be spelt or presented differently.
    Cheers
    Dave

Jan1954

Hello Dave,

Are these census records that you have seen him in, English ones? If so, please post the references. Have you found him on a Scottish census at all? If born in 1847 (or thereabouts) he should appear on the 1851, and it will hopefully confirm the Melrose connection.

David Annis

Thank you Jan.
    The reference I saw came as unsourced, from someone who made it public on A----try.
    I did check the 1851 Scottish census and searched for a birth.. The nearest was an Irish travelling family called "Demand".
    All other references to a James Demaine, around the 1847 mark, in Yorkshire.
    In the 1861 census for Northumberland, there is a James Denham, aged 14. Described as a servant and from Scotland.
    James appears to be a bit of a shady charactor and certainly never married anyone, although he does claim a couple of wives, the last being Mary Ann Anderton, who had been married to someone else. Mary came from Meriden, Warwickshire.
    My conclusion is that James may well be from a travelling Irish family, who possibly did grow up to be a teenager in Scotland and aquired a Scottish like accent as he grew up.
    I think I have exhausted this mans history and this was one last passing shot.
    Cheers
    Dave.

annw58

Default James Demaine

Hello Dave
    Just seen your request for info on James Demaine. Sorry really do not have much to add but it was probably my family tree you saw on ancestry.com. I started researching into James over 20 years ago and gave up. The story in my family told by my grandfather Arthur (James's son} was that he was a plumber and he travelled from Melrose in Scotland looking for work. He ended up in Burton on Trent and found work there. This story as been told to me by 2 other branches of James's family. Both my father and one of his cousins(no longer with us) remembered visting Mary with her 2nd husband Thomas Harrison on serveral occasions & she told them that James came from Melrose. I have never found a marriage for James and Mary. Did you find anything further about the Irish travellers? I would be happy to hear from you and I will start again looking into James

Ann

David Annis

Hello Annw.
    Welcome to the forum. If you get stuck, always ask on this site as there is always nice folk on here who will try and help.
    James Demaine. He is the great grandfather of a work mate of mine. People ask me if I can help trace their family tree's for them.
    I'm not sure that Demaine is his original name, it may be a corruption of his original name.
    Anyway its nice to hear from you and I will pass your information on. If James is a relation of yours then my mate must be one as well.
    His info was that James came from Scotland, but little else was known.
    His family tree is one of the most interesting and rewarding I have had to do. I had one other. Both could be turned into a books.
    You can always me send a private message if you want to.
    Cheers
    Dave.