Pritkar1

Default Help to find my father

I am trying to find information with regard to my fathers' burial or cremation site and wondered if anyone could help please.

His name was John (Jack) Robert Phillips. Lived in Nether Heage.

I believe he was a manager at Brettles hosiery factory in Belper prior to his death, and believe he died around March time 1970, ? aged 54, ?? in Derby, although I am not totally sure about this (he had lung cancer).

I have contacted Amber Valley Borough Council and St Lukes church Heage in case they have any records, and am waiting to hear back.

I'm not sure else where to look.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Karen.

pennydog

There is a death registered of John Robert Phillips dob 5/11/1915 March qtr 1970 in Derby 3A 983

Appologies if you already have this, but the death cert would give the date of death and his address which might narrow down where to look for his final resting place.

If you do not know how to order this certificate just let us know.

Pritkar1

Thank you pennydog.

I believe my sister has found this info on Ancestry.com but hasnt ordered the certificate. I would be grateful if you could let me know how to go about ordering the certificate. I do know the adddress, so this narrows things down a lot, but still not sure. Also, please forgive my ignorance, but does March quarter mean the first quarter of the year rather than definitely March (as I think my sister thought it was March but may have been mistaken), and what does Derby 3A 983 signify.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Karen.

Reputation beyond repute

I think you would need the exact date of death (from the death certificate) before approaching the council.

pennydog

Hi Karen,

The term March qtr means Jan Feb or Mar of 1970.
    You can order the certificate direct from the GRO (General Register Office)
    www.gro.gov - click on order certificates online - the cost is £9.25. If you order through another source eg Ancestry it will cost much more.
    You need to register then fill in the appropriate form (it is straightforward) and you will need the place ie Derby and the ref no. 3A 983.

If you need more help, no problem just ask

Pritkar1

Thank you so much.

xx