Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Hugh Thompson

Hi Minack, Pennydog did find that 1841 census family before and we are just trying to confirm we have the right one, hopefully with an obituary for Samuel or Harriet or something similar, I'm still going through shipping records in the hope of finding all the family names listed, everyone seems to agree that Fanny could be the one we're after.
    Hugh.

minack

Sorry everyone,

I missed a number of posts and in between reading the mother's name and actually searching I had to go out. Thank you to all who have contrubuted.

I have spoken to Deal Island and the caretakers are going to write up some history for the little museum on the Island and hopefully persaude Parks and Wildlife to arrange for a brass plaque for Fanny's grave.

I will post on this site when that happens.

Regards

minack

janbooth

Just to confirm the marriage (source Gloucestershire FHS Marriage Index 1800-37:

31 July 1834 at Avening Samuel BAKER & Harriett STEPHENS by banns

Janet

dragonfly1

Default Fanny Baker, aged 11

Just found that you're looking for information on Fanny Baker. I have a family bible written by Maryanne Woolaston who was Samuel and Harriet Baker's eldest daughter. Fanny was born on 21st Feb 1839 and died in October 1849 - it does not give any more information as to how she died. Samuel Baker who married Harriet Stephens in Gloucestershire were my great great grandparents. Samuel was born 20th April, 1813 and he had 8 children. He was a school master at Maitland. Harriet Stephens died 29th March, 1853. Samuel married his second wife, Hannah Anderson, on the 18th April, 1856. His daughter Harriet, born on 25th feb 1846, was my great grandmother. George was born 24th Jan 1840 and died 17th April 1853.

It sounds like the grave is Fanny Baker's.

Famous for offering help & advice

That is Great news nice to see that it is known for certain whose the Gravestone is - and that a family member is also in touch.

Mitch

spison

Hi dragonfly1,
    Lovely to see you on the forum. This query was a joy to work on because the outcome, while sad, was so satisfying and such a good example of collaboration. It is great to have it all confirmed from a family source. It was not initiated by a descendant so I always hoped that what we found would get back to the family.

Are you still near me? I was quite shocked when this mystery ended up just up the road from where I live!

Jane

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Thank you dragonfly1 for confirming what we found.

I've just been trying to find if anything further was done by the Parks and Wildlife people, and I found this 'blog' which seems to be dated earlier this year.
    https://justalittlefurther.com/oceani...tasmania-pt-2/

Pam

spison

I wonder why they haven't updated the information on the blog? This was the information with which we started. ... Or isn't this the same person who made the initial query?

Hmmm! Still I'm glad a family member found it.

Jane

Hugh Thompson

What great news to have the confirmation from a family member, poor little Fanny after travelling all that way to end up where she did, at least now she can be put to rest properly, a very good result methinks.
    Hugh.

dragonfly1

I hope you will accept my thanks to all the lovely people who have given so much of their precious time to name the unknown child in the Deal Island grave. It was always believed that Samuel Baker was a devout religious man,[Presbyterian] as were future generations. I had feared that Fanny may have died on her trip to Australia. She is the last of Samuel 8 children to be found. When I saw the photo on Deal Is website, I could not help but shed some tears as the realization was overwelming, as to how hard it would have been to lose her and have to leave her there (7 children were on that voyager). 164 years later the grave of their little girl has been acknowledged, and will hopfully bear her name. My wish is for a family member(a younger one) to one day be able to travel to Deal Is and perhaps leave a floral tribute to our once lost but now found, Fanny Baker. I feel sure that if Samuel and Harriett Baker could, that they would express their gratitude to all of you involved in this quest to identify her. Bless you all.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast