Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

Default 6x gt grandfather was a traveller!

I have recently discovered that my 5x gt grandfather was a Daniel Gardner baptised in Seddlescombe Sussex in 1748. His father was James and on his Daniel's baptism, James was put as a traveller.
    Daniel married Love Furnifer in Tenterden Kent in 1762. Love seems to me to be a romany name. The closest baptism for her that can be found on the IGI is Love Furnifull 1749 Nuneaton, daughter of Mary.

My question is: Does anyone know of any Gardner/Gardiner travellers in Sussex/Kent. I have searched and can find no evidence, but perhaps I am just looking in the wrong place.

Also, what do you think the chances are that Love Furnifer is actually Love Furnifull from Nuneaton?

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by sue2white View Post
    My question is: Does anyone know of any Gardner/Gardiner travellers in Sussex/Kent. I have searched and can find no evidence, but perhaps I am just looking in the wrong place.
    According to the Parish Registers for St Mildred, Tenterden, there is the following baptism:
    21st October 1832, Sarah, daughter of Francis and Jemima GARDENER. In the margin is written Travellers

Worth keeping to one side in case they turn out to be yours at some point?

Daniel married Love Furnifer in Tenterden Kent in 1762.
    Where was this found? I ask because the Tenterden records that I have (a transcription CD) has the marriage as being 6th March 1769. It was by Banns, so lay your hands on a copy of those and it should confirm which date is correct.

You may also find this helpful.

Thanks Jan
    Yes, my marriage date was a typo. I had that.
    Thanks for the Francis & Jemima information. I wonder where Francis was born? I'm sure they must be related!

Ooo! I see Francis (I think) is on the 1841 census in Pulborough Sussex.
    I cannot access this - can anyone tell me the details

Right! I have founda lot of Francis's children born in Tenterden and on the 1881 census it says Francis was born in Ashford Kent.

Jan1954

Right! I have founda lot of Francis's children born in Tenterden and on the 1881 census it says Francis was born in Ashford Kent.
    I do not have any PRs for Ashford, but I will take a scout around the Tenterden area to see if any others pop up.

Beware! Don't get side-tracked!

Ooh! Just found this baptism at St Mildred's:

5th August 1770, Ann, daughter of Daniel & Love. Not recorded as Travellers, but it looks like yours.

janbooth

1841 census details for Francis in Pulborough in case you still do not have them:

HO107/1092/6, folio 33, page 11
    Lown Street

Francis GARDENER 41
    Jane do 22 Dressmaker
    Thomas do 20 Painter J
    Eliza do 18
    Ellen do 15
    Emma do 12
    Amely do 7
    Robart do 9
    Fanny do 5

All born in the county.

So probably not your Francis as his family seem to be Kent based.

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 02-03-2012 at 9:54 AM. Reason: missing text

Thanks Jan & Janet.
    Yes, Ann is sister to my 5x gt grandfather.
    I found two entries for the baptism of Francis Gardener in Ashford, both on the same day 7/4/1811 - but with different parents - Daniel & Sarah and John & Sarah. These were on the IGI, but were two different sources (PR and Bishops Transcripts perhaps?)
    Obviously, it seems unlikely that two Francis's were baptised here on the same day.

I AM getting sidetracked, aren't I? But I do feel there is a possiblity that this Ashford lot are related to my lot.

Jan1954

Just found the marriage for Francis and Jemima at St Mildred's:
    28th December 1829, Francis GARDNER to Jemima DRAPER. They were both recorded as minors and it was by Banns. Both recorded as being of the Parish.

On the 2nd January 1922, an 87-year-old Daniel GARDNER was buried in Faversham Cemetery (Grave A-239) and recorded as a Tinker. Now, I know that this could not be your Daniel, but again it might be worth hanging on to the information in case you tie it in with others of yours.

At Rolvenden, Kent the following Baptism:
    4th May 1766, Meshack, son of James & Ann GARDINER, recorded as Travellers

At Smarden, the following baptism:
    4th December 1779, Mary, daughter of John & Elizabeth GARDENER, recorded as Travellers

These are the only GARDENER/GARDINER/GARDNER records that I can see where there is reference to them being Travellers, but it certainly looks like they had a presence in Kent aound that time.

Hoping that it helps,

This is Francis in 1881.

Woodnesborough, Kent, England
    RG11 Piece/Folio: 994 / 93 Page Number: 22
    Francis Gardener M 69 Licensed Hawker Ashford Kent
    Jemima Gardener F 69 River Kent
    Child Thomas Gardener M 44 Lenham Kent
    Child Francis Gardener M 40 Brabourn Kent
    Maria Laurence F 12 Lodger

Thanks Jan - we crossed posts
    Last edited by sue2white; 02-03-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Thanks

janbooth

Could be a red herring, but Family Search has the baptism of a Francis GARDINER on 7 April 1811 at Ashford, parents Daniel & Sarah plus on the same day a baptism of a Francis GARDNER son of John & Sarah - mistranscription, wishful thinking, who knows. However, in the 1851 census of Ashford, there is a John GARDINER, widower, aged 76, Shoemaker, place of birth not known - wonder if he could perhaps be related to Daniel & Love - perhaps worth keeping in mind.

Janet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast