Thread: Elusive book

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Elusive book

I have found a reference to the son of my ancestor in
    Portraits Etched in Stone (David de Sola Pool 1952)
    but am completely unable to find a copy in any local library.
    If I do a search on the name Myers there are some 80 odd references to the surname.
    The reference that I refer to above shows up in a "snippet view" and reads -
    15 Oct. 1760 5 Heshvan, 5521 Faybes son of N. Hart Myers.
    Cecil Roth indicates that the father of Naphtali Hart Myers was Joseph Myers although elsewhere I have found him referred to as Isaac.

Does any one have access to this book and would be willing to some lookups for me as I wonder if I am fortunate enough to have others of my family recorded here?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Maybe this link may help

https://www.
    worldcat.org/title/portraits-etched-in-stone-early-jewish-settlers-1682-1831/oclc/424980

Many thanks geneius.
    After some research I have found out that using the "book" option of a well-known browser to search on a surname the book shows up as containing a reference to that surname. Clicking on the link takes me to a page about that book with, in this case, a snippet view. Clicking on the "Find in a library" option returns the news that it cannot be found in a library near me and the nearest copy is in Germany!!!
    Yet you were able to find that a copy is available in New Zealand.
    It would seem that the "Find in a library" button presented to me searched using "portraits-etched-in-stone" and did not find the local copy.
    Your search used the fuller title "portraits-etched-in-stone-early-jewish-settlers-1682-1831" which does find the local copy.
    Good to know that the library search is so literal and that the options presented for locating a copy MAY not always be the best.

Now I can look for other books that may be more local than indicated.
    Thanks for the insight
    daryl

keith.robinson

Plenty of copies available from wwwDOTabebooksDOTcom. A search for Portraits Etched in Stone produced the results.

Quote Originally Posted by keith.robinson View Post
    Plenty of copies available from wwwDOTabebooksDOTcom. A search for Portraits Etched in Stone produced the results.
    Thanks Keith - unfortunately an expensive option hence my desire to find a library copy.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

My pleasure, we all learn from one another, enjoy your read

Jx