Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CURTHOYS DINAH

artscot

Default CURTHOYS DINAH

Hello,

I have Joseph Curthoys m. Dinah Curthoys at St Michaels in Gloster 3rs Jun 1834, by banns.

Can any one help with details of Dinah's family, have not found any other information about before the m. date, except from the censuses!

There is a Dinah Curthoys (both Dinahs' were born c1802-1805) who m. William Elliott and was a nurse.

Frustrating.

regards, artscot

janbooth

Have you looked at the actual marriage entry on the parish records to see if there are any clues on that such as names of witnesses? Any family naming precedents - for example I notice one of Joseph & Dinah's daughters was named Sarah and there is a marriage at Thornbury (Phillimores Marriage Index) of a Job CURTHOYS of Elberton to a Sarah WHITE on 18 February 1801 and then the subsequent baptism of a daughter Dinah on 2 January 1805. I don't think there is an easy way for you to decide which Dinah is yours except trawling through the parish registers of Thornbury to try and figure out which Dinah is yours.

Another thought which could help you and is certainly easier, when did the other Dinah marry William ELLIOTT? If it was post registration, i.e. Sep 1837, was the marriage registered? If so you can obtain a copy of the certificate from the GRO and should be able to discover from that the father of that Dinah which would then eliminate one of the 2 baptisms. If not registered, the actual parish register entry should still give her father's name, assuming it was post 1837.

Janet

Famous for offering help & advice

Details of the baptism of Dinah on scribes-alcove.co.uk (great resource for Thornbury area).
    Baptised 1805, born 30 Aug 1802. Sister Rose Anna baptised on same date, born 16 May 1804.
    The marriage of parents is on there too, listing three witnesses.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by artscot View Post
    There is a Dinah Curthoys . . . . who m. William Elliott and was a nurse.
    If she's the 84 year old Dinah Elliott in Shipton Moyne in 1881, she says she was born in Aust, Gloucs (according to census transcript on FamilySearch; RG 11/2552, f.113, p.7). Dinah Elliott's age on earlier censuses also suggests a birthdate in the 1790s. Have you found a marriage for William Elliott and Dinah Curthoys? If not, perhaps someone has found the Dinah Curthoys baptism on the IGI and put 2 and 2 together to make 5?

To add to the confusion, the 1841 census index on Ancestry has a Dina Eastburn born about 1801 in Gloucestershire (i.e. shown as 40 on the census, but remember that adults' ages were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 on this census). I can't see where she was living, except that it was in Gloucestershire. An Ancestry member has added the alternative names Dina Curthoise and Dina Curthoys.

Perhaps someone who can see the full census can tell where this Dina(h) was. Is she a garbled version of Dinah Elliott or is there another Dinah who was (allegedly) a Curthoys?

In 1851 Census there are two possibles:
    HO107/1961/148/18: Dinah CURTOYS, age 48, married, Housemaid, born Thornbury. in Whithorn household

HO107/1962/268/23: Dina CURTHOYS age 48 with husband Joseph.+5 children, born Gloucester

1841 HO107/359/6/6, image very poor
    Luke CURTHOISE age 30, Sarah 70, Elizabeth 25, Elizabeth 8, Charles 10, Griffith 35
    then Dina CURTHOISE, age 40, Richard ELLIOTT age 12. All living in Thornbury.

1841 HO107/355/22/3: Dinah CURTHOYS age 35 with husband Joseph age 35 + children George, Charles and Ann.

So Dina with husband Joseph was surely not born CURTHOYS.?

artscot

Hi Janet,
    I have almost all the relevant information for the Dinah who m. William Elliott, but I have not been able to access the m. of Dinah and Joseph (both named as Curthoys), I do not hink her fathers name would be shown on the parish records tho', that would help to track her down. Have not found any other records for that Dinah. I am not sure that she was born in GLS, although some census has her as from Thornbury.

artscot

That is the Dinah who m. William Elliott, I have the details for her!

Artscot

artscot

Hi,

Joseph and Dinah Curthoys were Married in 1834 at St Michaels, and they were in Gloster town for most of thier lives, in and around St Michaels! Need to find her maiden name to progress.

Regards, artscot

artscot

Hi Mona, Thats what I thought, but the records for the mariage state both were Curthoys, ouch!!

Artscot

I think the Dina CURTHOYS born in Thornbury may not have married. In 1861 she is again in service, this time as a cook, but now shown as unmarried.
    1861 Dinah Curthoys, age 57, unmarried, cook to proprietor (John Fowler), born Thornbury.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast