Elaine Silvia

Default 2 birth/baptismal records

My ancestor is William Pettigrew Blair born 01 Feb. 1872. The Family Search(LDS) has two records. One showing his place of birth as Milton,Glasgow,Lanark,Scotland and the other as Largs,Ayr,Scotland. I know he went to school in Largs but have an address of him living on Annfield street in Glasgow. Could these be 2 separate people?

Bertie

Hi - there are indeed 2 such records on scotlandspeople: perhaps his birth was registered twice for some reason.

However, you can download either or both records for a very small price (a purchase of the minimum number of credits for £7 is enough to get 5 records if you are careful with the search criteria).

The LDS records both state the mother as Jane BLAIR (father not listed) so it would seem highly unlikely to be 2 different people.

The records from scotlandspeople will show in addition to where the child was born who the informant was and when and where the birth was registered. It would seem highly unlikely for one person to register the same birth twice on the same day in two different locations so it would be interesting to get both to see what they contain!

BTW, I could find no marriage or death records for him: I take it he emigrated.

And as a suggestion, I would research the possibility that the father's surname was PETTIGREW

I see that in 1881 there is a William BLAIR age 7-9 with a second person Jane in Eastwood, Lanarkshire (only one such record): you can download the image from scotlandspeople if you wish

Elaine Silvia

Thanks so much for your help! William Blair was born out of wedlock. His father's last name was Pettigrew. His mother was called Maggie. I am pretty sure the Jane Blair is his mother because everything else matches. Her proper name was most likely Jane and her middle name Margaret or just a nickname. She married a James McIntosh sometime between 1872 and 1888. James had 3 children and was widowed. They immigrated to the United States in 1888. I have found no record of the marriage not have I found them in the cenusus in the USA. I will try to download the birth certificates from Scotlandspeople this week. Thanks again for the information. Elaine