Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    RobinC

Default Finding information

I am looking to start a family tree in order to investigate my family's history, however I have come upon a stumbling block as I don't know much about my Grandparents apart from their names and when they were possibly married.

Their names were Robert Peter Crouch and Amelia D. Witherall and they were married in 1940 (possibly).

I would like to know more about them in order to continue tracing my family history.

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

kcapes

Default Re- Finding Information

Hello
    And welcome
    Amelia D Witherell married a Robert P Crouch September quarter 1940 3a 2268Witherell with an (e) not (a), I would order the marriage cert which will give you ages and fathers names to help you on your way. If you need further help just ask anyone on here will help.
    Kim

RobinC

Thank you Kim.

I found out the information on the wedding on Ancestry, but don't know why I swapped the (e) for an (a).

I have also found reference to an Amelia Witherell emigrating from Canada but could not view the record as I haven't got the right membership on Ancestry to do so.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Robin,
    Welcome to the forum.
    As Kim says, order the marriage certificate to find ages, and father's names.
    Hopefully you have plastic (which is going to take a battering over the next few years, so be warned! ), and you can order online. (Cheapest way.)
    If you don't have plastic, or prefer not to order online, then start here instead. You always want the full certificate.
    The information you will need is the name of either the groom or the bride as listed precisely in the GRO Index. You can quote both, but only one is necessary.
    Robert P Crouch / Amelia D Witherell
    quarter September 1940
    registration district - Hendon
    volume number - 3a
    page number - 2268

Unless you know in which church/chapel/register office a marriage took place then you have to order marriage certificates through the GRO at Southport. Births and deaths can be ordered through local offices, but not all take plastic.
    For everything you need to know about BMD certificates look here.
    And for everything else you need to know about family history research - you're already in the right place - the BG forum.

Sorry - I can't help with the emigration record, as I haven't got a full sub either.
    Pam
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 11-01-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Added final sentence

RobinC

Update on information: -

I have possibly found further details as I started the 14 day trial that is on offer at Ancestry.

The new information is:

My Great Grandparents were possibly called Thomas & Lily Witherell and they travelled from Montreal to London on a ship called "Ascania", arriving on 28th November 1937 with an Amelia Witherell and an Arthur Witherell, (born about 1920 and 1922 respectively).

This would make both Thomas and Lily approximately 40 years old as they are listed as both having been born about 1897 and Amelia being 17 with Arthur being 15.

I am guessing that my Grandmother was born in Canada as cannot find any further detail on her using Ancestry.

If anyone has any further information, please can you update me.

Many thanks

Robin

P.S. I also know that my Grandfather was in the Armed Forces as I have seen various pictures of him in uniform but I have no idea which regiment he was attached to.

RobinC

I have also found a reference to a Thomas William Witherell who was born in Hendon in 1897, it states that his mother and father were called Amelia and Tom William Witherell.

I can't find a record of this Thomas travelling to Canada so am unsure if this is the same Thomas Witherell that travelled from Montreal to London in 1937.

Although another entry for the 1901 census has these people at the same residence:

Tom W Witherell 24
    Amelia Witherell 25
    Thomas Witherell 3
    Alfred R Witherell 2
    Amelia Witherell 3 weeks

The Amelia Witherell that is listed as being 3 weeks old is born too soon to be my Grandmother but could be her mother making 3 generations of the female side of the family being called Amelia. I know that my Grandmother used the name "Millie" so the "Lily" that travelled in 1937 could have been this Amelia Witherell, clutching at straws here though.

parkview

Freebmd has these birth registrations:

Sep 1920
    Witherall Amelia D (mother's maiden name Pitcher) Kensington 1a 216 - your grandmother?

Mar 1922
    Witherall Arthur W (mother's maiden name Pitcher) Kensington 1a 186 - her brother

And this marriage (her parents):
    Sep 1919
    Pitcher Hannah L (spouse surname Witherall) Kensington 1a 446
    Witherall Thomas W (spouse surname Pitcher) Kensington 1a 446

RobinC

That sounds plausible, definitely something to look at!

Have looked further into what parkview came up with and Hannah Pitcher's middle name is down as "Lillee" which could mean that she dropped the use of her first given name.

This is so confusing!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

This is so confusing!
    Not confusing - it's just that a lot 'seems to fit', and you immediately draw conclusions. Don't.
    By all means look for possibles, but do not say 'that's them' until you have the certificate(s) in your hand to prove it. Work your way back one step at a time.
    And if you ever look at the family trees on Ancestry or any other site, be very aware that people make mistakes, people beg/borrow/steal from other trees, and that not every one is thorough in their research.
    Pam

parkview

The 1919 marriage is also on Ancestry’s LMA marriages:
    Hannah Lily Pitcher Age: 22, laundry hand, 75 Swinbrook Rd, N Kensington, Father’s name Arthur Frederick Pitcher, painter
    Thomas William Witherall Age: 22 Labourer, 33 Talbot Grove, Father’s Name: Thomas William Witherall, bricklayer

Date: 30 Aug 1919
    Parish: Saint Mark, Notting Hill
    Witnesses: William George Pitcher & Amy Witherall

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast