Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Default CATHERINE AARON-DENTIST 1851

For those researchers interested in dental history Catherine Aaron nee Crawcour was recorded as a dentist in the 1851 British Census.
    The GRO census shows her as Head of family- 65 years old- widow- dentist b Middx
    living with her son Moses Aaron unmarried 21 years old- bedstead maker b Middx -Holloway.

Given the rarity of female dentists both in Europe and America during the early and mid 1850s it is interesting to speculate who her clients were and whether or not she used the same treatment methods as her brothers Moses, Isaac, David, Barnett who were all surgeon dentists as was their father Samuel Crawcour 1748-1816.

Catherine was married to Aaron Aarons.

Phillip

bumblebee

How interesting, I had never even considered Dental treatment existed that far back.

One of Crawcour's advertisements from early 1800 makes interesting reading..... A foulness of the teeth is as by some people as little regarded as it is easily removed, but with the fair sex ............. it is looked upon as a certain mark of indelicacy. It not only disfigures one of the greatest ornaments of the countenance, but also the smell imparted to the breath by foul teeth is generally disagreeable....

Eat your heart out C......gate.

Bumblebee

SRFENN

Cool Catherine Aaron

Hello,
    I've read your threads on Catherine Aaron with interest and wondered whether you help me a bit further. I also found Catherine Aaron dentist in the 1851 census but can't locate her before or after; have you managed to? My great grandfather was Moses Aaron born C.1829 and I have found who I presume must be him and his mother, Catherine, in 1841 although the surname is spelt Aron and she was born in 1791. Do you think she is the same person as the 1851 one?

The 1851 Catherine is supposed to have ben born in Curtain Road, Shoreditch and her son Moses in "Holloway" but it seems more likely that, as a road name and not a place is given for Catherine, the same is probably true for Moses and, so, it is likely that he was born in Holywell Row or Holywell Lane which crosses Curtain Road half way along it, and Holloway is not accurate.

My own Moses has different birth places on all subsequent censuses and it is impossible to know which one, if any, is correct. As he was born in 1829 I can find no registration of his birth and do not know how to find Jewish birth records if, indeed, they exist at all???

You say that the 1851 Catherine was married to Aaron Aarons. Do you have any more information; dates and places of births, marriage? The son of my Moses and my grandfather was Aaron Lewis Aaron who later changes his name to Lewis Aarons and he was born in Barnsbury in 1861. You say that your Aarons dropped the "S" from their name so, perhaps, Aaron Lewis put it back again???

You also mention that your Catherine had brothers named Barnett, Isaac & Moses and that her father was Samuel. The 1841 Catherine had sons named Samuel, Joseph, Isaac, Barnet & Moses and daughters Ester & Elizabeth.

Finally, the story in my family is that Moses "came from Russia" but this could mean that his family originated in Russia (or Poland which was part of russia at that time).

There seem to be a lot of coincidences and, given the lack of any other Catherine in the censuses, either before 1851 or afterwards (I can't find any at all), it seems likely that there is a connection somewhere.

I should be interested in any further information or thoughts you might have on all of this.
    Regards,
    Steve

Default CATHERINE AARON(s) NEE CRAWCOUR

Dear Steve
    Catherine Aaron (s) nee Crawcour and Aaron Aarons had the following children:
    Samuel Aaron b abt 1818 Middx lived at 3 Norwich Court Middx 1841
    Joseph Aaron b abt 1824 died Sept 1826 lived at 3 Norwich Court Middx 1841
    Isaac Aaron b abt 1826 lived at 3 Norwich Court Middx 1841
    Barnet Aaron b abt 1828 Middx lived at 3 Norwich Court Middx 1841
    Moses Aaron b abt 1829 Holloway. He lived at 3 Norwich Court Middx 1841 and York St Newington Lambeth Middx in 1851
    Elizabeth Aaron b abt 1831 Middx. She lived at 3 Norwich Court 1841
    Esther Aaron b abt 1833 Middx . She lived at 3 Norwich Court 1841.

Nb The first names Samuel, Isaac, Barnet, Moses are also the names of Catherine's brothers ( see my Crawcour postings).

Aaron Aarons in 1827/28 was a clothes salesman. He lived at 5 Russell Court Drury Lane and was there until at least 1832( see the National Archives and the Jewish records under the JGSGB data bases). Catherine was born abt 1785 Middx - in 1841 she was a clothes salesman and in 1851 was at York Street Newington Lambeth. She died 24 Jan 1858 at 3 Clare Street Bethnal Green Middx.

Catherine's parents were Samuel Crawcour 1748-1816 surgeon dentist from Cracow Poland hence the derivation of the Crawcour surname and his wife Rebecca ?

There are data bases on some of the synague records under the British Jewry site and look on the Cemetry Scribes site for the tombstones of the above- I can't remember if some of them are recorded.

It looks as if you have a connection to my lines.
    Hope this information helps.

The data my cousin Pat and I hold on the Crawcour lines is extensive and world wide.
    Phillip

Default CATHERINE AARON(s) NEE CRAWCOUR

Steve
    Was Moses married to Catherine Jonas in Sept 1860?
    What other data do you have on your lines? If you look on Genesreunited under Moses Aaron you will see several researchers who have his name on their tree- the connection is usually via Joseph Aaron who married Ann Tellow.
    Regards
    Phillip.

Ps There are 3 death entries for Aaron Aarons between 1837-1851 - you might want to get the certs and see if Catherine is named- see Free BMD

SRFENN

Cool CATHERINE AARON DENTIST 1851

Thanks for the reply.

So the 1841 and 1851 Catherine's are one and the same then are they? If Catherine was born 1785 then the 1791 date in the 1841 census is wrong? So how did she go from a clothes seller in 1841 to a dentist ten years later? There is also an Elizabeth Aron in the 1841 census born 1786 who I assume must be Catherine's suster-in-law. As Catherine's daughter Ester was born in 1833 then Catherine's husband must have been alive until at least 1832 and you say that he was at Russell Court, Drury lane until at least that date so, presumably, that's where Catherine and the children were also at that time and, presumably, Aaron died between 1832 and March 1841 as he is not in the 1841 census? Do you have a place and date of birth for Aaron Aarons and do you know whether he, or his family, were from Cracow as well?

I am afraid I have nothing much else on the early Aaron history other than census information so, unfortunately, will not be able to reciprocate your valuable assistance to any great extent. I can confrim that Moses Aaron did, indeed, marry Celia Jonas in 1860 and their son was Aaron Lewis Aaron (my grandfather). I've got back to John Joshua Jonas born 7/!/1796 in Whitechapel, Middlesex, son of Israel & Leah.

As I said previously, Moses Aaron has different places of birth in every census:-

1841 Middlesex
    1851 "Holloway", Middlesex
    1861 Strand, "London"
    1871 Middlesex
    1881 Bethnal Green, Middlesex
    1891 Oxford Street, "London"
    1901 not known, "London"
    1911 St. George-in-the-East, Middlesex

All very confusing and unhelpful. Any ideas? I'd really like to pin him down to a definite place of birth.

Thanks and best regards,

Steve

Default CATHERINE AARON NEE CRAWCOUR

Steve
    I can answer some of your questions- first of all Catherine ( Kitty) Crawcour came from a family of dentists - see all my postings on Crawcour- her brothers David my 4x great grandfather; Moses; Barnett; Isaac and their father Samuel were all surgeon dentists.
    The 1841 census for dob were rounded by 5 years. I have no idea where Aaron Aarons came from but the Crawcour and associated families were all Ashkenazi Jews from Poland/Germany/Russia. On the subject of the Jonas line I will need to check my data but I think I have other Jonas connected by marriage.

If you look in Doreen Berger's 2 volumes The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-70 you will see entries to Aaron/Crawcour/Jonas etc

You will need to check for your lines but all the Crawcour world wide originate from one progenitor- Samuel Crawcour 1748-1816 my 5x great grandfather.

Hope this helps
    Phillip

Default JOHN JONAS ETC

Steve
    In Berger 1861-70 there is an entry for John Jonas died 3.3.1867 17 Vyse Street Birmingham age 70- relatives Isaac Jonas; Rebecca Jonas son and daughter- any relevance? There are other entries to various Jonas
    Who do you want me to look up?
    Phillip

Default JOHN JONAS

Steve
    If you look on the London Gazette Archives under John Jonas you will see several of that name including:
    John, Jacob, Emanuel Jonas tobacconist/cigar manufacturers 1844; John Jonas Prospect Place Southwark 1844; John Jonas, Abraham Marks, Myer Levy Jacket waistcoat and trouser makers 7 Hutchinson St Gravel Lane 1860
    and others
    You might want to look at other relatives who might have been in trade.
    Phillip

Default MOSES AARON

Steve
    I have access to the Genesreunited census records but can't locate Moses Aaron post 1841 could you please post details of where he was and what his trade was plus family so that I can re-check.
    Thanks
    Phillip

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast