Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spinifex

Default Look up AIDED IMMIGRATION FROM BRIT

I noticed Sue Mackay has the book by ESME BULL: AIDED IMMIGRATION FROM BRITAIN TO SOUTH AFRICA 1857 - 1867

Could you please look up Charles Harman b abt 1832, Middlesex and Eliza Graham b abt 1835 Ireland who may have married either England or South Africa. ( Birth place for both is as per 1871 - 1881 census and later for Charles)
    Their first child Louisa Harman in the 1911 census states she was born abt 1861 at Grahamstown, Cape of Good Hope South Africa and I am also seeking Louisa's birth details.
    By 1863 they are living back in Middlesex.

Charles appears in the 1841 census as an apprenticed scholar. Any assistance is appreciated

The only HARMAN listed is Charles HARMAN (25) carpenter and Emma (sic) HARMAN (27) from Oxford, who sailed on the Aurifera, dep Liverpool 25 Apr 1858 and arr Port Elizabeth 6 July. The Aurifera was built for the rice trade but was fittd for emigrant transport just before sailing, with emigrants mainly from Kent, Oxfordshire and London.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

See this thread. It might be worth a browse through the Grahamstown registers for Louisa. sadly the transcriptions on the eggsa site don't start until 1869.
    Sue Mackay

bhansen

I am researching a family tree for Waddoups...any chance you can check for the listing in the book for these? I believe they travelled from England to South Africa (and then later from South Africa to NZ).

Many thanks,
    Bruce Hansen

Quote Originally Posted by bhansen View Post
    I am researching a family tree for Waddoups...any chance you can check for the listing in the book for these? I believe they travelled from England to South Africa (and then later from South Africa to NZ).
    John WADDOUP (33) Agricultural labourer and Anne (33) with Harriet A (3), from Warwick, travelling to City works, Cape Town, sailed on the Edward Oliver, dep Liverpool 9 July 1858 arr Table Bay 12 September

John WADDOUPS [sic] with Ann, Harriet Ann, Mary Elizabeth and Matilda re-emigrated to New Zealand on the Alfred, dep 27 September 1864
    Sue Mackay

bhansen

Many thanks for this Sue

Out of interest, do you have any information on the ships (or know of a good place to look!)

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by bhansen View Post
    Many thanks for this Sue

Out of interest, do you have any information on the ships (or know of a good place to look!)

Bruce
    There is some information about the voyage of the Edward Oliver but a bit much to type out, so if you give me your e-mail address in a private message (click on my user name) I will send you a copy. There is quite a lengthy introduction to the book - about 30-40 pages - outlining the emigration scheme, conditions etc. If you are ever in London you might like to visit the library of the Society of Genealogists, as I am pretty sure they have a copy of the book there in their South Africa section on open shelves.
    Sue Mackay

Trixie-Bell

You can find that book on the South African website https://
    ancestry24.com
    regards
    Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by Spinifex View Post
    I noticed Sue Mackay has the book by ESME BULL: AIDED IMMIGRATION FROM BRITAIN TO SOUTH AFRICA 1857 - 1867

Could you please look up Charles Harman b abt 1832, Middlesex and Eliza Graham b abt 1835 Ireland who may have married either England or South Africa. ( Birth place for both is as per 1871 - 1881 census and later for Charles)
    Their first child Louisa Harman in the 1911 census states she was born abt 1861 at Grahamstown, Cape of Good Hope South Africa and I am also seeking Louisa's birth details.
    By 1863 they are living back in Middlesex.

Charles appears in the 1841 census as an apprenticed scholar. Any assistance is appreciated

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi
    Please can you check for a William Smith born abt 1835, he came to south africa sometime between 1859 and 1881 with his family, one son Frederick William Smith was born in Germany but on his death notice it says he was British and I know he got married in South Africa on the 10/06/1881 and his father was one of the witnessess. I am unsure on how to go about checking the census to find further information on these Smith are you able to assist.

Kind regards
    Renold

Quote Originally Posted by LetchmaR View Post
    Hi
    Please can you check for a William Smith born abt 1835, he came to south africa sometime between 1859 and 1881 with his family, one son Frederick William Smith was born in Germany but on his death notice it says he was British and I know he got married in South Africa on the 10/06/1881 and his father was one of the witnessess. I am unsure on how to go about checking the census to find further information on these Smith are you able to assist.

Kind regards
    Renold
    As you can imagine there are quite a few William Smiths listed and I am afraid I have no further info on any of them. I will leave it to you to do the maths on the ages and arrival dates and let me know if any of these look likely.

W.S. (21) mason from Renfrew sailed Gipsy Bride arr May 1858

W.S (22) and wife Ann (21) farm labourer from Forfar sailed on Lord Raglan arr Sep 1859

W.S. (23) blacksmith & farrier from Forfar sailed on Lord Raglan arr Sep 1859

W.S. (27) and Rachel (29) carpenter sailed on Chatham arr Oct 1859

W.S. (26) shoemaker sailed on Ascendant arr Dec 1859

W.S. (30) and Emily (28) farrier sailed on Sedgemoor arr July 1860

W.S. (33) stonemason with wife Sarah with two daughters and male infant died on board sailed on Tudor arr Feb 1860

W.S. (38) stone cutter with wife Elizabeth and daughter Jane (16) from Dumfries sailed on Edward Oliver arr Sep 1858
    Sue Mackay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast