Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooksey family

jphoemom

Default Cooksey family

I am looking for my Cooksey Family
    here is what i have so far
    John Cooksey b. 1829 Bargeman married Hannah Timmins in 1851 in Dudley
    there children are
    Samuel Cooksey b.1858 upper Goral also a Bargeman married Jane Mansey Church of tongham
    Phebe cooksey b. 1861
    Thomas cooksey b. 1862 married Harriet Hall from Farnham
    Angelina Cooksey b.1864
    Clara Louise Cooksey b. 1868
    Emily Cooksey b. 1870

Thomas and Harriet had 3 Boy's and 1 Girl
    Arthur Cooksey
    Alfred cooksey
    Thomas Cooksey....all born in Basingstoke
    Emily Cooksey married Georg Williams in Basingstoke and immigrated to Cananda
    Thomas Cooksey immigrated to Michigan,he married Dolena Bunny,they had Twin boys
    but only one survived Thomas b.1916 d.2001
    Thomas married Dorothy Kelland they had 4 boy's
    [son] b. 1939
    William b.1941 d.2001
    Donald b.1942 d.1965
    Robert b.1944 d.2000

Can anyone help me with dates on the early cooksey Family,also with burial places
    Thank you
    Rosie
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 14-02-2012 at 12:52 AM. Reason: name of possibly living person removed -- please see our Terms of Service

Brick wall demolition expert!

In the 1841 Census there are 3 John Cookseys of about the right age:

COOKSEY, John 1829 12 West Bromwich Staffordshire
    COOKSEY, John 1831 10 Kings Norton Staffordshire
    COOKSEY, John 1829 12 Brentford Middlesex

The first of these is living in Perry Common, Handsworth, Perry Barr as part of a large family of Cookseys. The census ref is: piece 980 Folio 4/24 Page 9.

The second of these is living in Spon Lane Old Rookery, Harborne, Smethwick and is the only Cooksey in residence. The census ref is: piece 980 Folio 7/50 Page 17.

The third chap is living in Elm Row, Isleworth as part of a family. The census ref is: piece 658 Folio 8/24 Page 3.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Here are some possible census references

- RG10/820 folio 104 page 32 (Ash, Surrey)
    1881 - RG11/782 folio 111 page 42 (Aldershot, Hampshire)

I'm having difficulty finding them in 1861. You might expect more children to have been born in the 1850s. Please tell us what birth certificates you have for the children?

Do you have the 1851 marriage certificate? The 1881 says John was born in Oldbury, and there is a possible baptism in Oldbury on FamilySearch, son of Charles and Hannah. But you would need the marriage certificate to verify the father's name.

By the way, welcome to the forums!

birdlip

Hi Rosie,

I agree with Kerrywood there are likely to be older siblings born between 1851-58.

Noting that Samuel married Jane Mansey Church, I can see a William COOKSEY, visitor in the house of widow Mary Mansey 61,Seal, Surrey in 1881 [RG11, 784/27, P4] He is single, 25 (b 1856) in 'Gontdell' Staffs*, and is also a bargeman.

*could be Gornal?

birdlip

Freebmd has Samuel COOKSEY marrying Jane MANSEY in 1879.... not sure where the 'Church' name comes from? You mention that Jane is from Tongham, which is next to Seale, so I think it looks likely that Mary MANSEY is Jane's mother, and William is probably an older brother of Samuels .

birdlip

well...look at this!

What I didn't mention is that also in Mary MANSEY's household, along with a son George 21, is a widowed daughter Mary Ann BURDEN age 33, and her two daughters aged 8 and 5.

....and freebmd has William COOKSEY marrying a Mary Ann BURDEN in Jun quarter 1881 in Farnham Reg District, 2a 155.

So, only just after the census was taken, and it looks like two brothers married two sisters.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by birdlip View Post
    likely to be older siblings born between 1851-58.
    In 1911 Hannah COOKSEY, aged 84, is living with her married daughter Florence Sarah COOKE (wife of Arthur William COOKE), in barracks in Aldershot. There's a marriage in Farnham RD.

Hannah is recorded as having 9 children, 8 of whom were living at that time.
    RG14/3123 SN9999 (held by TNA, Crown copyright)

birdlip

John and Hannah COOKSEY baptised Florence Sarah at Ash, Surrey on 22 Feb 1871, along with three of her siblings; Clara Louisa, Emily and Thomas. (C01435-2)

In 1881, there is a 'Sarah' listed living with John and Hannah, age 15 b Ash, I think this is likely to be Forence Sarah. Also;

Phebe aged 21, b 'G? Staffs'
    Clara Louise 12, b Ash, Surrey
    Emily 11, b Ash Surrey

Thomas is not there in 1881, but Rosie knows he was b abt 1862, so he would have been about nine when he was baptised.

Florence Sarah is definitely an addition to the six children that Rosie knew about, and if William does turn out to be an older brother, that makes 8. One more to go, and which one died... Angelina?

birdlip

No, Angelina was still alive in 1884 anyway...

Sep 1884 marriages;

COOKSEY Angelina Farnham 2a 183
    COOKSEY Phebe Farnham 2a 183

and on the same page..Herbert LIVICK and Luke Andrew CAIN

jphoemom

I think the first cooksey might be right,i think his fathers name was William and he lived in Staffordshire
    Rosie

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast