Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding George

Default Finding George

I have searched the 1911 census for George Basaglia (all variants possible). If I put the name into the search not even one suggestion comes up. If I put just the surname it is still the same.
    Those of you who have encountered me before will know that I am absolutely pants at finding my own family in the census. Once they are found I can usually expand the search and do great leaps of imagination that take me where I need to be but I am simply not capable of finding the little devils in the census.

He married Amelia Nathan in 1894 and he was one of the witnesses at my grandmother's wedding in 1905.

Oh, I just thought that he could be dead by 19ll so I'll check that now.

ETA: OK so I just looked for his marriage and death cos I figured that would give me correct spelling. George Baselgia died mar qtr 1931 so he should be in the 1911. I'll take another look ~sigh~

ETA: right so now I am bright red with embarrasment because when you get the name right you can find people, can't you. Amazingly George and his wife are the only people with that name...... no, it's not amazing is it really? Anyway I have found them and they didn't have the person I wanted staying with them so that I could find out the name of her. Grrrrr
    Last edited by Ladkyis; 12-02-2012 at 6:27 PM. Reason: added correct spelling
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Knowledgeable and helpful

It happens to us all. I've lost count of the number of times I have mistyped my log-in and been refused entry to this site

Thanks Graham, that's why my face was so red in my edits of my message. After I looked up the marriage - I found it through his wife's name - I had the correct spelling of his surname and then I found him, as I said in the second edit.

One thing that amazes me is how Amelia changes to Meli or Muli by the 1911 census. If I didn't know her name I would never have found her

My thanks to everyone for the assistance. The reason I was looking at George is because I am trying to find out which of my great grandmother's nieces was the one who registered her death. the NAme on the death certificate is J DAER, niece. so she has to be married because none of great grandmother's sisters married anyone called DAER. The corrections to the death certificate - long story already told elsewhere - were made after a statutory declaration by Alfred Samuel Bishop and Josie Daer. Alfred Bishop was married to one of great grandma's sisters but they had one son that's all.
    I am trying to find out who Josie belonged to and I seem to be going all round the houses to get there.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.

Mutley

So... going around a few more houses that may or may not give you a clue, there is a Josephine Daer living at 14 Hotspur Street, Lambeth in 1929. Also at number 14 are:
    Olive Francis Baker
    William George Daer
    Frances and Frederick William Goodfellow
    William and Clara Murphy

Ring any bells?

Mutley

In Lambeth in Dec 1924 there are
    William G Daer and Josephine Joseph on the same page for a marriage.

As usual you are all amazing! I am hopeless at searching, but you know this. The JOSEPH name strikes a cord so I will go through the file again to see where it fits.
    George gives the Cold Harbour lane address on the 1911 census.

I'll see if I can find Josephine JOSEPH on the 1911, it might give me her mother's name............... though knowing my luck there will be hundreds of them!

It looks as though I am going to have to get the marriage certificate for Josephine JOSEPH, just to see who her father was and how old she says she is. I know that this is not an essential part of my tree but...............BUT, there could be descendants out there who might just want to know us.
    So a quick rummage down the back of the sofa for loose change and then off to the GRO

Sometimes I dislike computers and sometimes I really really hate them! Google Chrome has decided that I can do everything at the GRO except checkout and pay.
    This is ever since the last windoze update. I tried logging in with Internet exploder and the site tells me that my basket it being checked out and please try again in ten minutes when the checkout time will expire!!!
    Bl**dy inanimate objects!
    after the night I've had I don't need a machine to get stroppy..... waiting................I hate waiting.

So Internet exploder won't allow me to order either. I am sick and fed up with stupid machines!!!!!!!!

I rang the GRO and ordered the marriage certificate because my stupid computer still refuses to let me check out and pay for certificates. The marriage cert arrived. This is what it has

William George DAER age 62yrs Widower fancy goods dealer Hotspur Street, Kennington. Father William George DAER (deceased) Baker
    Josephine Joseph age 43 yrs Widow Iliffe Street, Peliton Place, Walworth. Father James Jacobs (deceased) auctioneer

Somewhere I have a piece of paper that tells me that Hannah NATHAN was living in Iliffe St around the time that my Grandmother married in Hampstead - 1905

A confirmation of her relationship with the family is that George Baselgia and Amelia Baslegia are the witnesses at Josephine's marriage.
    Now to find out when Josephine married Mr Joseph and if they had children. I want to "discover" some new rellies!!!

Well I am feeling dead proud of myself because I have found Josephine and her parents on the 1881 census and on the 1901 census but not on the 1891. I have found her birth so I could order that certificate but it won't tell me anything I don't know.
    In 1891 the house is full of boarders RG13/423 f22 p35. All except one are either german or Swiss. Now I shall look for Josephine's marriage to Mr Joseph.

ETA found the marriage then went to look at the deaths and realised that the Great War meant that a lot of Joseph surnames with E or Edward as the first name were there.

Going to look for children now

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    Well I am feeling dead proud of myself because I have found Josephine and her parents on the 1881 census and on the 1901 census

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    but not on the 1891.
    Try RG12/477 folio 39 pages 15-16 (Camberwell).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast