reidragon

Default George Bowling 1920

Hi I wonder if someone can help me?
    I am trying to trace the address of George Sampson Bowling who lived in Birmingham in 1920.
    He was a lecturer in Mechanical Engineering, Aston Technical School, Birmingham, and wrote a booklet entitled PRACTICAL MECHANICS for Elementary Students in 1920 published in 1921.
    He lived at Erdington Birmingham.
    I am compiling my family tree and George is/was a first cousin once removed.
    Many thanks Andy Bowling

Coromandel

Hello Andy and welcome to the forum

Some Birmingham electoral registers can be searched here ('pay-per-view unless you are viewing from a participating library'):

https://www.
    midlandshistoricaldata.org/SHPLoader.aspx?x=elect_birm.html&sc=1280

You might also find George in street directories or phone books (try Ancestry). Another route to follow might be to see if there are any archives of the Aston Technical School. Birmingham Archives & Heritage may be able to advise you:

https://www.
    birmingham.gov.uk/archives

Reputation beyond repute

I can see...

Births Mar 1884
    Bowling George Samson Sheffield 9c 436

and
    Deaths Dec 1970
    Bowling George Samson Derby 3a 698 (D/B 19 Dec 1882)

A possible discrepancy there (or are there two of them?)

Did he marry a FENTON and did he father a child in 1922? If so, get the birth certificate which should tell you the home address.

If the above death is the right one, get the death certificate which will contain his home address at the time.

pattenwalsh

Only one George Samson Bowling born 1881 to 1885,
    George Samson Bowling Jan-Mar quarter 1884 Sheffield vol 9c page 436
    He is in 1911 at Departement of Applied Science,Sheffield,
    co-incidentaly my daughter graduated with honours in computer science last August at Aston Uni and lived in Erdington! so I would think that Aston Technical School went on to become Aston University or was incorporated into the current sprawling site.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

I think the technical schools (including Aston and Handsworth) were a lower level of achievement to universities. they were for under 18s and held a lot of night classes. Aston began as a polytechnic, which was aimed at over 18s, and then was later converted, with many other polys, to university status in , I think, about 1962.

reidragon

Many many thanks to all who have replied, obviously some I have and others to follow up on.
    Andy