Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    tsgtmoon

Great information. Strange though, the Fed. Census of 1880 only lists Rebecca. Hard to imagine the three older siblings dying.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by tsgtmoon View Post
    Strange though, the Fed. Census of 1880 only lists Rebecca. Hard to imagine the three older siblings dying.
    I should have given you the dates. They died before 1880 and so would not show up on the census. See Family Search...

Elisabeth Andrews on 08 Feb 1876 here.

William F. Andrews on 21 Oct 1876 here.

Amelia A. Andrews on 08 Sep 1877 here.

Nora was born Ireland on Elizabeth's and William's record and England on Amelia's.

I'm not convinced that Nora knew where she was born.

tsgtmoon

I keep going back to your responses for some kind of a clue, but to no avail. OK, Nora doesn't seem to know where she was born, but it must be somewhere in the U.K. Same holds true for her husband, my great great grandfather, James Harper. My father's story of James being a Bengal Lancer comes from conversations with his grandmother, Annie, plus seeing the lance in her basement while he was growing up. His recollection of Annie's birth occurred in the English Channel, while some posters on this site uncovered evidence that it may have been in the Mediterranean Sea. Either way, Annie was born on a ship returning to England. I did find a record of birth for a Sarah Ann Harper on 13 August 1868 at Fort William Calcutta West Bengal India to a James and Laura Harper. Sarah's death record at age 16 years, 8 months, and 20 days, close to the birth at Fort William. I can't seem to find anything on James. Did he die in India? Did Nora finally have enough of the military life and say seeya to James and head out on her own with the kids? She obviously arrived in the U.S. in 1870, and remarried in 1873. I guess I'll have to keep banging away until I locate their marriage certificate to continue with their ancestry. Thanks again for your help. Bob Mooney

Famous for offering help & advice

Very frustrating when you knock down a brick wall, only to discover a taller and thicker one behind!
    I did look for your Nora, Honora, Honor to no avail. I only found a Honora CUSHIN in the 1841 census age 20, new immigrant to Cornwall, born Ireland; therefore before your Nora's time.

tsgtmoon

Thanks Mona, I have to go back to olliecat who said it appeared Nora was not sure where she was born. Some records show Sara born in Malta, while others show Calcutta. I did find a record of a Sarah Ann Harper born at Fort William Bengal India of James and Nora Harper. I still cannot find information on James. Fact--my great grandmother was born at sea retuning to England. My father always said it was a troop ship and it was located in the English Channel when she was born. One record stated the Mediterranean Sea. That would validate the India birth of Sarah. Where's James?? Fort William would indicate military, and my father also said James was a Bengal Lancer. Did he and Nora marry in the U.K. prior to his deployment to India, and Nora followed? Was Nora already living there when James showed up? I could not find any Indian record of their marriage, and I have spent hours looking at Ireland and England records. I have resigned myself to the fact that there is a lot of digging left, and I thank everyone at B-G.com. Bob Mooney

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12