Colin Rowledge

Default What happens to a share in an Estate?

When a person makes a Will thre are benficiaries named.

In some instance, there are references to a particular share being provided to a named person and in the event of that named person being deceased prior, then that share is passed on to their successors.

What happens to the share if there is no successor named for a particular beneficiary and that person predeceases?

Just curious

Colin

Reputation beyond repute

Do you mean a residual beneficiary? It may also depend on whether the beneficiary was a son or daughter of the deceased.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Do you mean a residual beneficiary? It may also depend on whether the beneficiary was a son or daughter of the deceased.
    The estate was divided equally into 11 parts. At the time of death she was a widow and had no children of her own. All the shares were to be distributed and there was no residual beneficiary.

One of the named beneficiaries were a husband and wife and the stipulation was that in the event of their deaths prior, then their share would be divided between their issue. As they did in fact die this was complied with.

Another beneficiary was unmarried, had no issue and also died prior. This was a sister in law. What would happento her share in the estate?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post

Another beneficiary was unmarried, had no issue and also died prior. This was a sister in law. What would happento her share in the estate?
    I think that unless there was a specific instruction to do differently, the deceased sister in law's share goes back into the pot and is divided between the other beneficiaries.
    ELWYN

Reputation beyond repute

My belief is the same as Elwyn's.

Colin Rowledge

Thank you, Elwyn and Peter.

Until I hear something that contradicts their beliefs I will accept that answer to my query.

Colin