DianaCanada

Default Deceased or Absent Father?

My great-grandmother was baptised in Oldham, Lancashire when she was about 21 months old. A brother, 6 or almost 6, was baptised as well. The oldest child, age 7 was not. Or at least that is what I can see in FamilySearch.

The records show that Elizabeth and Joseph Ford were the children of Joseph and Mary Ann Ford. Elizabeth was born in Oldham in May 1854 and Joseph in Halifax in 1850.

The "problem" with this family is that Joseph disappeared sometime between the registration of Elizabeth's birth in 1854 (June) and 1861 when Mary Ann is listed with the children in Huddersfield, Yorks. as a widow.
    The family story is that Joseph Ford Sr. left for "America" and never returned - whether he planned to send for the family I don't know. I have not been able to track him down. No death record appears for him in the Oldham district.

My question - if the father is dead when a child is baptised, is it mentioned? I don't recall seeing this although I have looked at lot of baptisms over the years.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I think that there is no hard and fast rule - that it very much depends on the person writing up the church records. I have seen some that have add various comments in the margin, one presumes to inform, but one that I saw relating to the death of a foreign sailor who fell from the mast of his ship whilst in port, seemed to go beyond simple information - from memory it said something like "he fell on his dead and was dead".

Reputation beyond repute

My question - if the father is dead when a child is baptised, is it mentioned?
    You haven't mentioned a marriage. Is there evidence of one?

In any case, the answer is probably yes. If the mother is claiming (rightly or wrongly) that the children are legitimate, she'll certainly want a father's name entered.

Someone in my tree was born after an amazing three year gestation period! It must be true because the records show his father as being the mother's long deceased husband!

DianaCanada

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    You haven't mentioned a marriage. Is there evidence of one?

In any case, the answer is probably yes. If the mother is claiming (rightly or wrongly) that the children are legitimate, she'll certainly want a father's name entered.

Someone in my tree was born after an amazing three year gestation period! It must be true because the records show his father as being the mother's long deceased husband!
    Yes, Joseph Ford and Mary Ann Lounce married in Halifax in 1846. They had three registered children and then he ups and goes.

pennydog

Three children of 'mine' were baptised together (8 months, 4 and 6 years), the father's name was entered but in the occupation column was written 'dead' (just wish I could find this death!).

DianaCanada

That is interesting, pennydog. Thanks.

BeeJay

Quote Originally Posted by DianaCanada View Post
    My question - if the father is dead when a child is baptised, is it mentioned? I don't recall seeing this although I have looked at lot of baptisms over the years.
    Like Megan says, I think it depended on the person writing up the record.

My 4xgt-grandfather died in Sept 1837 and his last son was born in Feb 1838. Neither the baptism record nor the birth registration mentions that the father was deceased - they both list his name and occupation (labourer).