Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

Default Birth or baptism for Fanny MAY or SALMON?

Fanny MAY or Fanny SALMON was the illegitimate daughter of William Salmon and his mistress Martha MAY. According to the 1891 and 1901 censuses Fanny was born in London ("EC") in about 1853, but I can't identify a birth registration or a baptism for her. Any ideas?

There is a registration for Frances MAY Sep 1853 St Pancras who appears to be the Frances May baptised 28 Jul 1853 at Camden St Pancras, daughter of Edmund and Lucy May, Harries Place, butcher. She doesn't look likely.

There is a registration for Frances Sophia SALMON Mar 1854 Shoreditch who appears to be the Frances Sophia Salmon baptised 22 Dec 1853 at Hackney, Haggeston St Mary, daughter of Charles and Sophia Salmon of Brownlow Road, cabinet maker. She doesn't look likely either.

I looked for any female baptised in London in about 1853 to either William and Martha Salmon or William and Martha May. There's an Ann May baptised 12 Dec 1852 at Holy Trinity Marylebone Road to William and Martha May of 49 Great Titchfield Street, carman. Also a Mary Ann May baptised 1 Oct 1854 at Camden St Pancras to William and Martha May of Tottenham Street, carman, which looks like another daughter of the same couple. Neither of these girls look likely to be the illegitimate Fanny. I also looked for daughters of just Martha, surnamed May or Salmon, and didn't see any that looked possible.

Some additional information and background:
    Fanny and her mother Martha can be found on two later censuses in Slough as follows:

1891 census 4 Alpha Street, Upton cum Chalvey (Slough), Bucks (RG12/1135 f52 p40)
    Martha M Salmon, wife, mar, 61, living on own means, born Amesbury Wilts
    Fanny M Salmon, dau, single, 38, [occupation "none"], born London E.C.

1901 census 56 Alpha Street, Slough (RG13/1343 f81 p11)
    Martha M Salmon, head, wid, 71, annuitant, living on means, born Amesbury Wilts
    Fannie M Salmon, dau, 48, born London

William Salmon was a wealthy man from Glamorgan, magistrate and Deputy Lieutenant, and I have posted here about him before, in connection with his mystery heiress Emily Morrell. William's relationship with Martha was before Emily's time, though. William and Martha were together in London in 1861, although little Fanny (who would have been about 8 years old) wasn't with them.

1861 census, 30 Wellington Terrace, Marylebone, London (RG9/89 f 79 p1)
    Hannah Harmsworth, head, widow, 56, independent, born Swallowfield Berkshire
    William Salmon, visitor, married, 70, independent, born Suffolk
    Martha Salmon, visitor, married, 30, born Amersham Wiltshire
    Mary Keats, servant, unmarried, 30, born Somerset

William's actual wife Hester had lived until 1858.

I have not found Martha and Fanny in the 1871 or 1881 censuses. They may have been abroad.

In his will William Salmon gave Martha and Fanny the surname May. I am sure that he and Martha weren't married, but that Fanny was their daughter, because there was a suit in Chancery in 1897, the year after William's death, between a plaintiff called May (who must be Fanny) and a defendant called Spranger (who was William Salmon's only surviving child Rosa). The plaintiff May was accepted as William Salmon's child and the suit was over the obscure interpretation of a trust set up by William Salmon's sister-in-law. I know about it only from a law report in a newspaper.

So can anyone suggest a likely-looking baptism for Fanny in London?

Barbara

pennydog

Have you seen the reg. for:-

Fanny Rowden May 1852 East London 1c 38

She looks interesting, Pennydog, thanks

Can't find a matching baptism on Ancestry. Is East London not covered?

Barbara

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by barbara lee View Post
    Can't find a matching baptism on Ancestry. Is East London not covered?
    Yes, it's covered, insofar as the registers are deposited at LMA.

The Anglican churches would be St Bartholomew Moor Lane, St Giles Cripplegate, St Botolph Aldersgate, St Botolph Aldgate and St Botolph Bishopsgate.

You can use the browse facility (choose Borough - City of London) to confirm that the relevant year is available for each of the above parishes.

(Note that Ancestry in its infinite wisdom has put earlier registers under St Botolph without Bishopsgate but later ones under St Botolph Bishopsgate, though they are of course the same parish.)

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barbara lee View Post
    I have not found Martha and Fanny in the 1871 or 1881 censuses. They may have been abroad.
    This could be Martha and Fanny in 1871 at RG10/1106/43/10 - Teville Road Villa, Broadwater, Worthing Sussex

Martha M SALMON (Widow) b. 1830 Middlesex? - Annuitant
    Fanny M SALMON (Daug) b. 1854 Middlesex?
    (Original also says Amesbury for both of them)

and in 1881 at RG11/1460/26/47 - 4 Alpha Place, Alpha Street, Upton Cum Chalvey, Bucks

Marthar SALMOND (Wife), b. 1830 Amesbury, Wiltshire - Annuitant
    Fanny T SALMOND (Daug), b. 1853 Middlesex

(record held by TNA, Crown Copyright)
    Last edited by Jellylegs; 27-01-2012 at 2:00 AM. Reason: added Crown Copyright

Thank you, Jellylegs, for those census refs.

Kerrywood - thanks for the advice about the parishes in East London. I have done a bit of browsing of those registers, but haven't found a baptism to match the registration of Fanny Rowden May in 1852. There doesn't have to be one, of course. Not sure about the "Rowden" either, so perhaps this isn't the Fanny I'm looking for. It isn't critical that I find it, but I would have liked to have seen what was said about the father.

Barbara