Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    malcolm99

To be honest I suspect they'd be too busy and you'd not get very far. I know that when I've tried to look at original records in Camden they say in a rather harassed way that their job is with today's registrations of B, M & D - you then look around the reception area and you see what they mean.

You could ring them and ask how to go about getting them to check their registers, or ask how you could do the search yourself - if you get an uncooperative answer (and I do sympathise with the people who work in inner city RDs), I should send a letter asking for the information from the Registrar (and don't let them fob you off by saying you should check the GRO indexes!).

junedye64

Just received Hannah's death certificate.Nothing funny going on.
    She died 12 Sep 1898 at 7, Foster Street, from Pneumonia. Edward was the informant. So the baby Alfred would have been about 9 months old. No wonder he wanted to marry again. Although it was over a year when he actually married.

I ordered the cert through GRO and they searched for 3 years. So why wasn't it on the index?

June

junedye64

Just looked on FreeBMD and there is Henry Russell died Sep 1898 Bethnal Green.

Someone transcribed the name wrong.

June

malcolm99

Well done June - your persistence paid off in the end!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Looking at the image, the dreaded typed list !! It was once suggested to me that they couldn't have been transcribed wrongly.
    Sure!....

At least with the old images to view, we could find an error earlier. Anyone can make a mistake in transcribing, ..just ask me..
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

junedye64

Isn't it a shame you can't see the original image.

On the copy cert I got it is very clearly Hannah. I assume they copy it from the original.

Should I make a correction on FreeBMD?

June

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Many others do so June. Having the certificate I believe they would accept that over a transcription.

So easy to have written the wrong or copied from a Henry written above for a different surname. Some scans were particularly hard to decipher.

Some people in a hurry don't check properly. I thought I did & was told some-one else also checked work but still am sometimes asked to change something when a searcher finds a boo-boo.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456