Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    junedye64

Default Who was Edward!!

Looking on the newly available Electoral rolls in London, I found that my G Aunt Alice had Edward Russell living with her from about 1922-1939 at 31 Cowley Street, Stepney.
    I'm curious because Alice's maiden name was Russell and I can't find an Edward Russell on my tree that it could possibly be.
    In 1911 census Alice (Alice Williams) was living with her mother Ann Russell. Her father Alfred Joseph Russell was in the infirmary. They were living at 108 Cowley Street.
    One theory I had was that it could be her brother. On the 1911 census Ann said she had 9 children. 5 were living.
    I only know of 4 living.
    Ann & Alfred married in 1855. Their children were born between 1856 and 1869. I did find an Edward Russell born in 1870 but why wouldn't he have been in any census with the family?
    Alice didn't have any children and her husband died after about 4 years of marriage. Alice died in 1940.
    I've tried looking for Edward before 1922 and after 1939 but he could be living anywhere.
    Is there any thing else I can do? It's really bugging me. He MUST be one of the family.

June

malcolm99

Hello Judy

I've been working on this and am getting very keen on one candidate in the 1911 Census who is Edward Russell married to Caroline
    RG14 Piece1537 SN 240.

I've managed to trace Alfred and Ann on the censuses from 1871 but I can't trace them on the 1861 census. Have you found them in 1861? It might be quite useful if you have.

malcolm99

For anyone else looking at this, the census refs for Alfred & Ann that I've found are:

1871 Census: Piece 536 fol. 52 page 9
    1881 Census: Piece 455 fol. 94 page 10
    1891 Census: Piece 302 fol. 145 page 14
    1901 Census: Piece 210 fol. 82 page 37
    1911 Census: Piece 1516 SN 221

malcolm99

One reason I’ve a feeling that this Edward is worth pursuing is that in the 1871 Census Alfred Russell was aged 13 and was born in Bethnal Green.
    There is an Edward William Russell born Bethnal Green June Quarter 1857 who fits quite nicely with Alfred as a younger brother who could be the Alfred Russell born Bethnal Green Sep Q 1858.

As Edward would have been 14 at the time of the 1871 Census, there’s a good chance he would have moved away from home and was living and working elsewhere.

junedye64

Hi Malcolm99

I've looked at that 1911 census and I agree. The first thing I noticed was the childrens names Alice & Alfred.

I've found all the census except 1861 which is so annoying. Their first child was Jane b.about 1856 although I haven't found her birth record. If I had the 1861 census she would be on that. The only reason I know Jane is their daughter is that I found someone who was descended from her and they had photos of Alfred & Ann. Also Jane married Bernard Ludwig and Jane Ludwig & Alice Russell were witnesses at their brother Alfreds' marriage in 1886.Also Janes father on her Marriage cert was Alfred Russell Painter & decorator.
    Thanks for your detective work. It gives me something to go on. I'll see if I can find Edward & Carolines marriage.
    Thanks again

June

junedye64

Also The Edward you found in 1857 is Edward William Russell. That was actually Alfred's two elder brother's names and his father was William.

malcolm99

Have you seen that there is a death for Edward W RUSSELL, Stepney RD, June Q 1940, age 85. Although there's a slight age difference (85 instead of 83) this could fit in with him disappearing off the electoral roll in 1939.

There might be something in all this but it's frustrating that Edward and Caroline (and their children!) seem to be so elusive in censuses & BMD. Caroline, of course, may be a 'pet' name and not used officially.

BTW I think Edward is in the 1881 Census at Piece 455 fol. 4 page 1

Time for bed for me...

Happy hunting!

junedye64

Thanks for your help Malcolm. That is very interesting the death record you found. I feel like I'm getting somewhere thanks to you.
    I too must go to bed. I won't sleep now.
    June

malcolm99

If the 1911 Census for Edward is RG14 Piece 1537 SN240 -

Address: Dunstan Buildings, near Love Lane, Ratcliff, Stepney

Edward Russell, Head, age 55, married, Bricklayer, born Bethnal Green
    Caroline Russell, wife, age 54, married, Cha[i]rwoman, born Whitechapel
    Alice Russell, daughter, age 24, single, Rag Sorter, born Whitechapel
    **Edward Russell, son, age 21, single, Soldier, born Whitechapel
    **Clare Russell, daughter, age 18, single, Shop Girl, born Whitechapel
    Alfred Russell, son, age 13, single, Rag Sorter(?), born Mile End

**on schedule but not living at home

...then the 1901 Census for them is probably RG13 Piece 325 fol. 112 p. 38 -

Address: 25 Johns Place, Mile End Old Town, Stepney

Edward Russell, Head, age 43, married, Railway Labourer, born Bethnal Green
    Catherine Russell, wife, age 42, married, born Bethnal Green
    Alicia Russell, daughter, age 14, born St Georges East
    Clara Russell, daughter, age 9, born Bethnal Green
    Edward Russell, son, age 11, born Bethnal Green

...and the 1891 Census for them is probably RG12 Piece 282 fol. 73 p. 1 -

Address: 3, Providence Place, Brunswick Place, Whitechapel

Edward Russell, Head, age 33, married, Dock Laborer, born Whitechapel
    Hannah Russell, wife, age 26, married, born Whitechapel
    Alice Russell, daughter, age 4, scholar, born Whitechapel
    Edward Russell, son, age [13 months], born Whitechapel

I’m not yet convinced that Hannah and Catherine/Caroline are one and the same - the age difference in the 1891 census seems to imply that they’re not.

There is a marriage between Edward Russell and Hannah Wyatt, Bethnal Green, Sep Q 1886 which looks promising.

malcolm99

There are a few other things I’ve noticed, one of which is that an Edward William Russell is living in the same house as Charles Alfred Gosby at 135 Cornwall Street, Stepney in the 1920 electoral register.

Charles Alfred Gosby married Clara Mabel Russell at St Philip’s, Stepney on 26 May 1912. Ted Edward Russell (sic), a labourer, was Clara’s father. Clara’s address was given as 16 Dempsey Street.

Probably even more interesting is that Edward William son of Edward William & Hannah Russell was baptised somewhere in St George in the East parish on 11 August 1889 (born 29 July 1889). Dad was a Dock Labourer and lived at 3 Brunswick Place, Back Church Lane. The address is worth comparing with that of the 1891 Census.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast