Duncs62

Default Widdicombe Family, Devon, England

Hi.

I am trying to research and track down any information on my GG Grandparents. Robert Alfred Widdicombe he was born Circa- 1839 in Harburton, Devon, England. Robert Alfred Widdicombe married Mary Caie Circa - 1864. Mary Caie was born Circa- 1841, in Nigg, Kincardine, Scotland. Her parents may have been George Caie and Margaret Phillip also from Nigg Scotland. Robert A Widdicombe & Mary Widdicombe ( Nee- Caie) and children, immigrated to Australia on the ship Chyebassa in 1884. Any help, family contact, or history would be greatly appreciated. - Michael

Jillychris

Find My Past has a Robert Alfred Widdicombe's Baptism his Father was Thomas a labourer and his Mother Mary Ann he was baptised in Dittisham which is in the same Totnes Registration District as Harburton. The date of Baptism was 24th March 1839.
    I hope this helps.

Thomasin

In the 1841 census Mary Caie, daughter of George and Margaret of Nigg, is shown as being 1 month old, so definitely born that year.

Are you sure this Mary is yours? Because there is another in Aberdeenshire.

If you send for Robert and Mary's marriage certificate you will establish at least their fathers' names.

There is some information on Mary Caie on Duncs' other thread here, which I have now closed.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

DOB7

Default Widdicombe marriage

Robert WIDDICOMBE married Mary CAIE Dec qtr 1863, Totnes district vol 5b page 311.

Duncs62

Thumbs up Caie / Widdicombe / Philip Family

Thank you for everybody's Replies and help. I have sent for the Marriage Certificate as advised, and will track back from there for more documented proof if possible.. There seem's to be a lot of confusion on Mary Caie's parent's I have noticed. Some sites and postings have her Parent's as George Caie & Margaret Forbes, and other sites and postings have Mary's parents as George Caie & Margaret Philip. What I have found so far is Mary's Parent's were George Caie & Margaret Philip, some of the children have Philip as a middle name ( Thanks to Sue pointing that out ). In the past couple of day's I have been lucky to have acquired some old family photo's that are from the Widdicombe family, ( some are only marked Aunt or Cousins ), However I have one that is marked with the Surname Philip on it ( They are a well to do family wearing some type of medallion / Title around thier necks) . and I have other's photo's with Aunt Annie, Georgina Caie, Aunt Jessie Caie and so on ( which I believe maybe Mary Caie Sibling's ). It seems to me the Maiden name for Margaret is Philip not Forbes as the photo is marked with the Surname Philip on it, any other advice, or help would be greatly appreciated - Duncs