Wiganexile

Default Post-1837 births not registered

My Sidebotham ancestors did not register any of their four children who appear in the 1841 and 1851 censuses: William 1939/40, Sarah 1844/45, Mary 1846/47 and Charles 1848/9.

How usual would it have been for a literate couple not to register their children? and
    Where do I look next? No sign of them, by the way, on familysearch.

William (Wr) married Mary Lee (W) on August 26th, 1839 at Orchard St Congregational, Stockport.

Loves to help with queries

Cheshire bmd has william sidebotham's marriage to Mary Lee formerly Evans and there are births for 4 children maiden name Evans

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by loobylou View Post
    Cheshire bmd has william sidebotham's marriage to Mary Lee formerly Evans and there are births for 4 children maiden name Evans
    Good find, loobylou

Just to fill in the details . . . the four birth registrations on Cheshire BMD (all in subdistrict Stockport First, mother's maiden name Evans) are as follows:

1840-1845
    Charles Sidebotham (ref. ST1/10/20)
    Sarah Sidebotham (ref. ST1/14/6)

1846-1850
    Mary Sidebotham (ref. ST1/18/42)
    Enry Sidebotham (ref. ST1/22/2)

'Enry' may be the Henry Sidebotham whose birth was registered in the last quarter of 1850, Stockport district according to FreeBMD.

There is also a William Sidebotham birth in the Stockport First district in 1840-1845. The reference is ST1/6/28 which sounds as if it would be nearer the beginning of that 5-year period than the end. However, his mother's maiden name is shown as WOOD, so this may be a different family.

Your William's birth may have gone unregistered (like many others in the early years of civil registration). Alternatively perhaps he was born before his parents married, in which case he might have been registered under a different surname.

Wiganexile

Thanks, everybody.
    I stand corrected. I'd looked on Cheshire BMD before I put up the post and have no idea how I failed to see them.

Someone wanted the birth certificate I 'advertised' on this site for William Sidebotham (right address, too, according to the 1841 census: Brinksway, Cheadle Moseley, Brinkley/Bulkely), but mother Mary Wood, and I thought I'd just look for the rest of the family.

Coromandel: the first Charles died, aged 3, in 1846. Enry must be the Charles, Charles 'A', of the censuses, who married in 1873 as Charles Henry. It's also possible that he was born before his parents married and that's the reason they didn't register him. My great aunt's great aunt Jane never married, and I wonder if it was because she wasn't prepared to admit her illegitimacy to anyone.

As far as my William goes, I need to look at the 1841 census again to see if there is another William, Mary, William Sidebotham family on Brinksway. or anywhere else in the Stockport area. If anyone fancies looking on my behalf, they have been variously Sedebotton and Sutebotham in transcription: I went through the microfilm of the Stockport 1841 census at the Family Records Centre some years ago to find them originally and, of course, have since lost my notes.

frithy

Hi Think it was me who wanted cert, but then relised he's not mine. I'll try to find out more.

frithy

Real mix up this one. According to the 1851 census. at 5 Astle Street Brinksway. William, 53, born Gilford.
    With them is a John Lee/s aged 18 said to be the son of wife Mary.
    This child is John sidebottom aged 7 on the 1841. With william, 42 Mary, 30, William, 1. ALL NOT born of Parish.
    So maybe William was also born a Lee/s.
    My Sidebothams dont get to Brinksway from London/Manchester untill later.

frithy

What was the address on that Birthcert for a William, mums maiden name Wood, that you didnt think was yours?

Wiganexile

It was Brinksway, Cheadle Moseley.

Mary's first marrieage was to Mr Lee. She married William in August, 1939, at Orchard St Chapel and his address then was Brinksway, Cheadle Bulkeley. The witnesses to the marriage were Charles Evans (bride's father, hatter), and Elizabeth Caine.

sueannbowen

For what it is worth (and possibly for when you get further back) there are a lot of Sidebothams on the BMD Non-conformist registers for Cheshire. These go up to 1837 which is why I say further back might be worth a look.