Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mr angry

Smile FARMER of berkshire/hampshire/australia

Hi looking for jeremiah farmer born 1800, transported to tazmania in 1831 on convict ship proteus. also looking for his parents so any info would be a great help as now hit a brick wall, if anyone is looking for the farmer name in berkshire /hampshire i would be happy to help as i have traced my surname from now to 1800s.regards malcolm.

barrie wise

Default Farmer Jeremiah

Hello Mr. Angry,
    I had some information for you that you may already have - but you had closed off your thread so I couldn't repy, but I have opened your original post.

No. 466 Jeremiah Farmer, "Proteus", tried at Southampton 18th December 1830, arrived Van Diemen's Land 4th August 1831, 14 years, transported for robbery, gaol report orderly in prison, hulk good, married one child, stated the offence, machine breaker, stealing shoes one month, again one month for leaving master, married one child wife Elizabeth at Uphants? [can't decipher the town].
    1st May 1835 charged with parlouring one sheep & making use of bad language - case dismissed. Free certificate 10th February 1852. ref: CON 31 Conduct register, film no. Z2549.

No. 466 Jeremiah Farmer, 5'3", 30, ploughman & shepherd, reap, sow, milk, tried Southampton Special G.D., 18th December 1830, 14 years, native place near Andover, Hants, married, Protestant. Relationships & apprenticeship where last residing: wife Elizabeth at Uphan* [can't decipher town], F & M Wm [don't know], a farm labourer at Furnham, NP LB Abel?, a farm labourer at NP [Native Place], 1 at Uphan?, the other at native place.
    Offences: Machine Breaker, for stealing shoes one month, one month again for leaving my master. ref: CON 27 Appropriation lists of convicts, film no. Z2040.

Jeremiah Farmer married Elizabeth Eastman on the 26th February 1826 at Vernham's Dean, Hampshire. Two sons, John baptised 10th August 1828 at Hurstbourne-Tarrant, and William baptised 17th July 1831 at Hurstbourne-Tarrant, Hampshire. One obviously born after the trial.
    In Van Diemen's Land Jeremiah married twice, in 1844 to Margaret Carrol [26] at Hamilton, and in 1855 to Mary Fehely [25] at New Norfolk.
    He died in Hobart in 1871.

The marriage data and death and any children need verifying from the State Archives!

To get copies of the above convict records to clarify the towns mentioned [you will have more idea than me regarding Hampshire villages], go on line to Tasmanian Archives convict records, enter his name, and this will list the relevant CON numbers, in CON 31 you will find Jeremiah on page 17 & 18, so should be able to decipher the information.

Best of luck, Barrie.

mr angry

hello again folks thanks for the replies, i must say a big thank you to barrie and hugh from australia information supplied has been a great help and will look into both marriages to see if any children were born to him, Anyway thanks for welcome and as ever foward yet again. ps hugh can you empty your inbox regards malcolm.

Coromandel

Hi Malcolm and welcome to the forum

In case you haven't already come across it, I thought I'd mention Jill Chambers' website, 'Swing Riots and Rioters'. It includes a section on the 'Proteus', for most of the convicts on board were machine breakers:

https://www.
    swingriotsriotersblacksheepsearch.com/

There may well be further information about Jeremiah in Jill's book, 'Hampshire Machine Breakers'.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

As with many machine-breakers, there was a petition for clemency for Jeremiah FARMER, held at TNA Kew (HO 17/50/78).

This could be worth a look, as such documents often contain valuable family information.

If you can't get there yourself, TNA might send you a copy. From the catalogue entry, click Ordering and Viewing options for information on how to order.

Hugh Thompson

Hi Malcolm, thanks and my inbox is now empty!.
    Hugh.

mr angry

Hi hugh, no worries, with your help and barries i am going foward with the hunt for jeremiahs life in australia and he seems to have been busy married twice so onward to see if any children came from either marriage we will see regards malcolm.

barrie wise

Default jeremiah farmer

Hello Malcolm,

A bit more info for you regarding Jeremiah in Van Diemen's Land. A quick look at the Archives gave a little about him, but a more thorough search may reveal more.
    He was working as a shepherd at or near Hamilton in 1844 [one of the agricultural areas that had been established roughly 50 miles from Hobart]. I checked both the Register General Department [RGD] and St. Peter's register for his marriage: Marriages in the District of Hamilton 1844, no. 1451. on the 22nd July 1844 at St. Peter's church Hamilton, Jeremiah Farmer, 45, shepherd, and Margaret Carrol, 26. No other details. ref: RGD 37/1451

Deaths in the district of Hobart 1846, no.1122, on the 3rd August 1846, Margaret Farmer, female, 34 years, labourer's wife, cause of death cold, informant Timothy Carrol, brother, Bathurst Street, Hobart, registerd 7th August. ref: RGD 35/1122. I don't know why she was in Hobart, and where Jeremiah was at the time. Didn't have time to trawl through the numerous Hobart church registers to find any burial information. There are no births listed on the index but that doesn't mean that they had no children, as the index is far from complete.

I assume that Jeremiah was still living in the Derwent Valley area as in 1855 married again. Marriages in the District of New Norfolk 1855, no. 1061, on the 3rd December 1855 at St. Mathew's church, Jeremiah Farmer, 50, farming labourer, and Mary Fehely, 25, domestic servant, registered 3rd December 1855. ref: RGD 37/1061. The church register revealed a bit more info - W. T. Murray was the chaplain, Jeremiah was listed as a widower, Mary was a spinster, and the witnesses were John Walder and Margaret Barnes. Again no record of any births on the index.

Deaths in the District of Hobart 1871, no. 275, on the 1st February 1871, Jeremiah Farmer, died Brickfields Pauper Estate, male, 81 years, born England, pauper, cause of death cancer of the face, informant was the Superindendent of Brickfields, registered 1st March 1871. ref: RGD 35/275.
    When he left the Derwent Valley area and entered the pauper's home I don't know, but maybe there are records regarding the institution at the Archives. Didn't see a death for Mary, but that may be in the church burial register.

Hope this helps,
    Barrie.

mr angry

Hello Barrie,

Again with your help you have filled in more blanks would be good to see if any children were produced from either marriage as can only find one child from his first marriage in the UK. Finding his parents is also proving difficult but dont know whybut will still keep looking. Whilst on another forum came across a gentleman looking for info on my great great grandfather so got in contact with him and it turns out he is related to me and visited my grandparents and parents when he was young, the reason we didnt know of him he was adopted by a new family and taken to Wales. This is a small world.

Thanks for all of your help much appreciated.

Regards Malcolm.

Sandra Parker

The following are reports from the newspapers of the day and refer to your chap. You can see, and download, the originals by going to
    https://
    trove.nla.gov.au

Good luck with your research,
    Sandra whose spectacled aura is now happy at having its own convict history.

GOVERNMENT NOTICE, No.61, Colonial Secretary's office, April 4.
    The Lieutenant Governor-has received a dlspatch from the Right Honorable the Secretary of State, transmitting her Majesty s warrant, granting pardons to the following convicts, per Eliza and Proteus, of the offences for which they were respectively transported to this .Coíony, on condition that they shall during the whole of such residue of their sentences as remains yet to be undergone and performed, continue to reside within the Island of Van Diemen's Land, viz -
    ...Jeremiah Farmer...
    Trove The Hobart Town Courier (Tas. : 1827 - 1839) Friday 6 April 1838

The Lieutenant Governor has received a Despatch from the Right Honorable the Secretory of State, transmitting her Majesty's Warrant granting nardons to the following convicts per Eliza and Proteus, of the offences for which they were respectively transported to this Colony, on condition that they shall, during the whole of such residue of their sentences as remains yet to be undergone and performed, continue to reside within the Island of Van Diemen's Land :— ... Jeremiah Farmer...
    Trove The Cornwall Chronicle (Launceston, Tas. : 1835 - 1880) Saturday 14 April 1838

The periods foi wliich the under-mentioned persons were transported expiring at the date placed after their respective names, certificates of their freedom may be obtained then, or at any subsequent time, upon application at the office of the Comptroller-General of Convicts, Hobart Town, or at that of a Police Magistrate in the interior:— ..Proteus: Jeremiah Farmer 18th Dec 1844.
    Trove The Cornwall Chronicle (Launceston, Tas. : 1835 - 1880) Saturday 7 December 1844

Certificates or Freedom Granted.— Jeremiah Farmer
    Trove The Cornwall Chronicle (Launceston, Tas. : 1835 - 1880)Saturday 21 February 1852
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 15-01-2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: lost my 's' on my keyboard!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast