Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    freddie999

Default Can I trace my g/f in a cavaly reg. in WW1?

I have researched my grandfather, but came up with no information that he was in the cavalry; however, my brother has a story from my father, when he was being returned home wounded (shot in the stomach and gassed) he wanted to bring his horse home with him!! I guess the army couldn't afford to lose a horse from the war zone.

His details are: Alfred Jenkinson, from Lincoln. The regiments I have found for him are
    Yorks & Lancaster Corp (No. 28903)
    Lincolnshire (No.28591)
    Royal Engineers (No.359558)

I presume none of these are cavalry regiments, would they have horses or use them? any clues where I should look? or am I neighing up the wrong tree?

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by freddie999 View Post
    IHis details are: Alfred Jenkinson, from Lincoln. The regiments I have found for him are
    Lincolnshire (No.28591)
    Are you sure this medal roll card relates to your grandfather? The reason I ask is that Ancestry has the army service records of no. 359558 Alfred Jenkinson, Royal Engineers, which show that he was of Wadsley, Sheffield, an insurance clerk aged 18 years 7 months when he enlisted in Feb. 1916; next of kin was his mother Mary Milner of 131 Findon St, Sheffield.

This doesn't seem to fit with what you say about him being from Lincoln, unless he had moved from there to Sheffield of course.

If this looks like the wrong man, perhaps you could give age, birthplace etc. for your grandfather, in case it helps anyone locate relevant records. As I expect you know, many First World War service records were destroyed by fire in the Blitz. If no surviving service records can be found, your best bet may be local newspaper reports of the period.

jomo

Horses were still being widelyused to transport military goods & weapons in WWI, so it's perfectly posible that your g'father came into contact with them & even attached to a partivular one

freddie999

I have seen Alfred (Wadsley). The Alfred Who I beleive to be my grandfather was born in Grasmere on 29/08/1889. He appears in Lincoln with his father (John Jenkinson) in the 1901 census with a misspelt name Alead!! He appears with his father in the 1911 census he can be found in Gainsborough (near Lincoln) together with his father,had both as prisoner!! in a building recently known as 'the old nick'!! When discharged from the army, he returned to Lincoln, married a Lincoln girl, had 8 children whose births were all registered in Lincoln.

Yes, I was aware about the 'burnt' records. Sadly, it would appear both of my grandfather's records were lost in that disaster. Thanks for your help Coromandel

freddie999

Default Uniform identification help request

I have stored a photo in Photobucket, can anyone recognise the uniform my grandfather is wearing? the photo looks a bit weird, I think, it was in a bad condition, so I used a guy who does a great job recovering photos, his face looks alot weird, I know, now I know where I get it from!!!!Thanks. Here's the link:

https://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k562/freddie9991/

Hi

Are you trying to find what regiment he was in, the cap badge would have helped, was the badge so distorted before the repaired, if you give your grandfathers name and details someone may be able to find his army records

Peanut

Mutley

I'll presume grandfather has died and we are looking at a WW1 picture?
    If so....
    as Peanut suggested, give us some details about the person and we may be able to tie the two together.

I doubt it was a Scottish regiment but what do I know? except it was not a Glengarry he was wearing..

freddie999

Sorry, my request was very inadequate, it took me a long time to up load the photo!! It is the regiment I would like to identify from the photo. The cap badge was very unclear on the photo, I explained to the photo restorer that the cap badge is important. After cleaning the picture, the badge did not become clear, as other features of the picture had.

Heres my grandfather details:

Alfred Jenkinson, from Lincoln. The regiments I have found for him (from the medal cards) are:
    Lincolnshire (No.28591)

Does the uniform in the photo resemble the uniform of these regiments?

Thanks

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by freddie999 View Post
    Alfred Jenkinson, from Lincoln. The regiments I have found for him (from the medal cards) are:
    Lincolnshire (No.28591)
    I am still worried that this may not be your grandfather's medal roll card (see this earlier thread). There are army records on Ancestry for the Alfred Jenkinson who was no. 359558 in the Royal Engineers which show that he was from Wadsley.

freddie999

I tried to explain in that earlier thread (which was mine) that my grandfather, is not the man from Wadsley (Sheffield). I had looked at that mans papers, and ruled him out. Alfred was a Lincoln boy born in the city, where his family lived. The previous thread gives details of his appearances in the 1901 and 1911 census. he returned back to Lincoln at his end of the war with injuries, and he received an award of the Silver War Badge; and he married a local girl in 1920 in Lincoln. His parents were still in Lincoln during the war years and beyond (confirmed by electoral registers). Thanks for your help. Is the uniform recognisable?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast