Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by freddie999 View Post
    I tried to explain in that earlier thread (which was mine) that my grandfather, is not the man from Wadsley (Sheffield). I had looked at that mans papers, and ruled him out.
    That is exactly why I am confused, freddie999. The medal roll card you say is your grandfather's is for the man who was number 359558 in the Royal Engineers. However, this is the number given on the army papers for the man from Wadsley, which means that this must be the medal roll card for the man from Wadsley. Since you know he isn't your grandfather, then this can't be your grandfathe's medal roll card.

Perhaps there is a different medal roll card that could be your grandfather's? I will have another look later when I'm at the library.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

It's best to keep all the information on one person in the same thread, so I've combined the two threads here.

freddie999

Sorry, I think I am gettting a bit mixed up. I didn't expect this to be so complicated, I thought some one would be able to look at the uniform and identify it.

Reputation beyond repute

I can only see two possible recipients of the Silver War Badge in WO 329. One is 66855 A Jenkinson, Northumberland Fusiliers, who in the index cards (WO 372) is shown as Arthur. The other is 39558 Alfred Jenkinson, Royal Engineers, who you have agreed is not yours.

Is Alfred Jenkinson his full name? How sure are you about the Silver War Badge?

Can you post a scan of the original photo (before 'restoration')?

Coromandel

I've made a start on looking at some of the other Alfred Jenkinsons with medal roll index cards.

19586 Pte Alfred Jenkinson, 11th Border Regiment; his pension records on Ancestry say he was 22 yrs 5 mo on enlistment in May 1915; next of kin was wife Ellen, of Villa(?), Arkleby, Aspatria, Cumb.; a child Alfred, was born 21.1.15, Pte Jenkinson was invalided back to England after a gunshot wound to his left arm (wounded 26 August 1918); he was later at the regimental depot at Carlisle. [Born about 1892/1893 so a little young to be yours?]

The following were killed in the war, so can't be your man:
    S/3289 Pte (later Sgt) Alfred Jenkinson, 4th Middlesex Regiment
    372 Pte Alfred Arnold Jenkinson, Royal Warwickshire Regt (on Ancestry's medal roll index as Afred A. Jenkinson)

Wrong first name
    49887 Pte (later Acting Staff Serjeant) A. Jenkinson, Royal Army Medical Corps; I haven't looked at the medal roll card, but in the Documents Online index this man is shown as Albert Jenkinson, so he can be ruled out too.

These ones are still possibles and need further investigation:
    80264 Pte Alfred Jenkinson, Liverpool Regiment (Victory + British War medals)
    201324 Pte Alfred Jenkinson, Manchester Regiment (Victory + British War medals)
    445 A. Jenkinson, Royal Field Artillery
    4172 Sgt. A Jenkinson, Kings Royal Rifle Corps (also 127191 in Royal Flying Corps)
    M/31018 Pte A. Jenkinson, Army Service Corps

(details are from indexes only (some from Ancestry and some from Documents Online); I ran out of time to look at each medal roll card on Ancestry. There may be more clues on the cards.)

There are also some other cards for A. Jenkinsons with middle intials; I haven't looked at these yet, as you made no mention of your grandfather having a middle name.

freddie999

Many thanks to everyone’s generous contributions to my uniform identification requests. Sadly the cap badge image on the photo was very poor, the restoration process was unable to ‘bring out’ a clear view of the badge, but did the uniform. As requested, I am unable to provide a scan of the photo as it is in the possession of my cousin, I’m in London and she is in Lincoln. Sadly, there really isn’t much on the cap badge, on the original.

Alfred didn't have a middle name.

My research was very poor (as you have kindly identified), and a long time ago (before the records availability on-line). It took place at Kew, the National Archives. A guy on the help desk found for me the medal card for Alfred Jenkinson, with regiment numbers 28903/28591/359558. He pointed out the code on the medal card ‘SWB’. Given that all we know, grandfather was shot in the stomach and gassed, presumably invalided out; before the end of the war, I would assume his injuries would warrant a Silver War Badge, though it appears there’s no record of him receiving one

From the men identified, one is a collier . This is unlikely. The nearest mines to Lincoln are Nottingham, not practical to commute.

Another man was an insurance clerk, Alfred was a manual labourer, as indicated in the 1911 census.

I was unable to find any of the men mentioned in your feedback, and no Alfred from Lincoln, with next of kin John & Emily Jenkinson.

Thanks again.
    Any luck with the uniform?

jeffersj

It does look (albeit blurred) to be the badge of the Royal Engineers. As stated earlier he could have been a driver (of horses) delivering equipment or engineering bits rather than a cavalryman.

freddie999

Thanks Jeffers, that makes alot of sense. Do you think a soldier who was in this delivery role with his horse, could be shot in the stomach and gassed? This was the injuries I have had reported to me, he had suffered. Would he have got that close to the battle lines?

jeffersj

Yes it would have been possible, deliveries could be up to the front line and the supply routes would be shelled and attacked many times.

jeffersj

Further to the above, there was an article on the One show the other night about a war memorial in East Yorkshire dedicated to Waggoners during WW1. They were ex farm-hands used to operating the pole wagons used by the army and so could sign up for 2 years.

The badge of these Waggoners shown in some of the photos looked very similar to that you have. East Yorks and lincs are very close.

Jeff

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast