Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    KEGTEX

Question Devereux, Montgomeryshire

Any suggestions or help very much appreciated!! I have been searching for the parents/other family of a gggrandfather in various places on the web. His name was Robert Devereux. while I have found christening records for his children, i cannot find any earlier family links.

I have found many other Devereux families in Montgomeryshire, within the same time frames, many names that are in my Devereux family I have not yet been able to establish a link with them. Before I try coming over to Wales, is does anyone have any suggestions as where to find any other information? Most of my information on Montgomeryshire Devereux is from either Find My Past or familysearch.

Jan1954

Hello KEGTEX - welcome to Brit-Gen,

What sort of time-frame are we talking about here? Have you worked your way back via birth, marriage and death certificates? Have you seen Robert in the censuses? If so, what are the references?

Sorry for the questions, but the more information that you are able to povide, the better placed members will be to help.

KEGTEX

Sorry for the lack. Robert Devereux/Devereaux/ (Br. 1788) came to the US in 1841 to Cambria, Pennsylvania with his family: wife Margaret Evans (Br 1788) (marriage bans April 1813, Montgomeryshire) Children: Thomas, 1814-1897; Margaret, 1816; Mary, 1819-1867; Esther, 1822-1888 -GGgrandmother; Elisabeth, 1824; Robert, 1826; Jane, 1834-1905; Sarah, 1835; John 1846-1865.
    I have found the christening records - in Llanfair Caereinion, Montgomery, Wales. One problem is that the record that I found for Esther shows her father as Samuel Devereux.

As of yet, I have not found parents for either Robert or Margaret. I did find many other Devereux in Montgomery with marriages and christenings in Llanfair C. Samuel Pryce, & Pryce, sons of Samuel and Rachel (nee Pryce) Devereux born 1787 and 1790. Samuel and Rachel married 11 April 1785. Witneses Rowland Devereaux and Ellis Roberts.
    There are Pryce and William Devereux (1813 and 1816) sons of Pryce and Elizabeth(nee ?) Devereux
    There are apprenticeships and wills for similar named devereux in the middle 1750's.

The Hughes I have traced to 1812 birth for Wiliam Hughes, but I am not even 90% sure it is the same one, as we have no other family names for him in Wales (Montgomery)

The Evans and Roberts are from Flintshire and Denbighshire. I have Elias, my GG grandfather, and his wife Sarah Roberts, birthdates,(1821, 1829) marriage, (1851) and children (most of them) and the names of their parents from the Marr. certificate,
    but I'm not able to verify the parents to my satisfaction exactly.
    So you can see I have some good information, but I need more.

Kathy G

Mutley

Sorry, yet another question....
    Did they leave the UK before the 1841 census?

The Law List for England and Wales in 1843 lists
    Robert Devereux and John Pryce Harrison as Country Attornies (sic) in Welchport, Montgomeryshire.
    Relatives?

Mutley

There is a death of an Edward Devereux
    Birth: abt 1789
    Death: Apr 1866 - Llanfyllin, Montgomeryshire
    If it is possible that he is a brother to your Robert and stayed in Montgomeryshire you may have more chance of tracking him.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by KEGTEX View Post
    Samuel and Rachel married 11 April 1785. Witneses Rowland Devereaux and Ellis Roberts.
    There are apprenticeships and wills for similar named devereux in the middle 1750's.
    There are a number of Devereux wills available to view through the National Library of Wales online index, including a will for Samuel Devereux and also one for Rachel Devereux. There are also some others Devereux wills that may be worth checking. Can we take it that you have looked through these wills.

KEGTEX

Thanks for the info...I have not checked tht yet, but I do have a Readers Card for the NLW, so I can check it in the next day or so.

KEGTEX

Yes, they did, arrived in New York May 1841. Also, I found an apprenticeship for Pryce Devereux in law at Machynltoth(?) 1759, and a probate will for Robert Devereux in 1798. I keep thinking that with the same names that come around the Devereuxs that I find, there must be a family relationship with most if not all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by KEGTEX View Post
    Thanks for the info...I have not checked tht yet, but I do have a Readers Card for the NLW, so I can check it in the next day or so.
    You don't require a Readers Card as you can view these wills directly online. Just use the search form I gave you a link to above. If you enter Devereux for a name, you should see a list of all the Devereux wills that were proved in the Welsh Ecclesiastical courts before 1858. Further to this, if you want to restrict the list to Montgomeryshire, choose Llanelwy/St Asasph from the Diocese box. You should get this list ...

1686: Will: Edward Devereux, Kefn Gweenfa, Berriw, Montgomery, Gent

1767: Will: Augustus Devereux, Llanllugan, Montgomery, Gent

1789: Will: Edward Devereux, Llwydiarth Park, Llangadfan, Montgomery, Esq

1801: Will: Samuel Devereux, Bryn-glas, Llanfair Caereinion, Montgomery, Esq

1808: Will: Rachel Devereux, Llanfair Caereinion, Montgomery, Widow

1838: Bond: Edward Devereux, Llwydiarth Park, Montgomery, Esq

1858: Bond: Robert Devereux Nicholls, Bryncwneishin, Berriw, Montgomery

The images are available to view.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

There are also some Deveruex wills proved through the Prerogative Court of Canterbury listed on the National Archives. If you are interested in any of these (i.e Pryce Devereux 1836), you would need to pay a fee in order to view each will. List here (you may need to click the link twice.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    There is a death of an Edward Devereux
    Birth: abt 1789
    Death: Apr 1866 - Llanfyllin, Montgomeryshire
    In the 1861 census there is an Edward Devereux living in Merionethshire who was born abt. 1792 in Llanfair, Montgomeryshire. He was a custom house officer. I think this Edward could be a son of Samuel and Rachel; there is a christening record which could fit on FMP. It appears that he also left a will, proved on the 17 Aug 1866, executor John Jones. (National Probate Calendar)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast