Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mofowax

[QUOTE=Peter Goodey;502178]"Breach of promise" has now been abolished but cases had being drying up throughout the 20th century. I think that by 1922 there must have been very few cases. Also I suspect it was something that was fairly expensive to pursue. This is all to say I would expect that it probably wasn't breach of promise but a simple maintenance order. These could just be handled through magistrates courts.

If you get hold of the book "My Ancestor was a Bastard", you'll find a lot of useful research advice including all about court orders.
    Thanks Peter. That will come in very handy. Illegitamcy has appeard elsewhere within my family (the things you uncover), thankfully down another branch!

mofowax

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I don't know about "custom". Many women who were going to rely on medical facilities provided by poor law institutions couldn't stray far from home. However in this case I see that you have a Marylebone registration. I would hazard a guess that the birth could well have been at Queen Charlotte's Hospital which was a popular place for unmarried women to give birth. If you find that it was Queen Charlotte's, it will be worth contacting them because they may have something in their records. It won't be much but it may be a help.

Having said that, it might be that London Metropolitan Archives is the place to go for records but we can worry about that if the certificate does confirm the place of birth.
    Yes, I believe it was Queen Charlotte's! My grandmother (John's wife) told me that he was born in the 'hospital for unmarried mothers'. You've just confirmed it for me Peter, thanks! Do you think the hospital will be able to give me that information? Worth a try I'm guessing...

I must say, this forum is absolutely priceless. You have all been so helpful. I've discovered/ confirmed more in the last 24 hours than I have in 3 months. Brilliant!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by mofowax View Post
    Do you think the hospital will be able to give me that information?
    The records for Queen Charlotte's are at London Metropolitan Archives in series H27/QC. They are beautifully kept, and very detailed for some periods, so it would certainly be worth asking (if the birth certificate confirms that location).

Because of the 100-year closure rule on hospital records, the LMA staff will probably have to extract the relevant records on your behalf, and they will charge you for that service accordingly.

mofowax

Quote Originally Posted by DianaCanada View Post
    There are a couple of Arthur Pearsons marrying in Amersham around the time of your grandmother's birth - one an Arthur E. in Oct 1920 (bride surname Kennett) and one Arthur W. Oct 1921, bride surname Mayger. One of these might have been a "builder" which would help - also he might still be at parents' address and of course, his father would be known. The Arthur W. looks promising as possibly matching the one you mentioned born in 1899. Also, the breach of promise might have come about because he married someone else although your grandmother was pregnant.
    Hi Diana, it could quite possibly be the Arthur W Oct 1921. That certainly would have been enough to push Edith into some sort of compensation claim. I'll keep this and see whether there's some correlation further down the line. My gut feeling is that this is the same Arthur. Well spotted!

Colin Rowledge

I must say, this forum is absolutely priceless. You have all been so helpful. I've discovered/ confirmed more in the last 24 hours than I have in 3 months. Brilliant!
    I told you in your Introduce yourself post, that this lot will eliminate a brick wall before it even forms, didn't I?

Reputation beyond repute

The birth certificate will provide the information. Other addresses (eg informant's address) will be interesting because there were addresses used as temporary hostels for unmarried mothers in the area.

Lets wait and see what the birth certificate says.

DianaCanada

Hi Diana, it could quite possibly be the Arthur W Oct 1921. That certainly would have been enough to push Edith into some sort of compensation claim. I'll keep this and see whether there's some correlation further down the line. My gut feeling is that this is the same Arthur. Well spotted!

You're very welcome. I wish you luck with your quest. I have a similar situation - but it was my mother, born in 1923, to my unwed grandmother (who actually did not go away to have her; she was born in her grandparents' house). I doubt I will ever find her father - she passed away in 1995 and I have NO clues.

mofowax

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    The birth certificate will provide the information. Other addresses (eg informant's address) will be interesting because there were addresses used as temporary hostels for unmarried mothers in the area.

Lets wait and see what the birth certificate says.
    Hi Peter, my grandfather's birth certificate has arrived! It does confirm he was born at Queen Charlotte's Hospital in St Marylebone, which is great, but it doesn't include an entry for the father or father's occupation. Is my next visit the LMA?

mofowax

For anybody researching Queen Charlotte's Hospital, here's a delightful film from 1932, then sited on the Marylebone Road; it is now part of the Hammersmith Hospital in west London: https://bit.ly/vj88TL

mofowax

Hi Peter, my grandfather's birth certificate has arrived! It does confirm he was born at Queen Charlotte's Hospital in St Marylebone, which is great, but it doesn't include an entry for the father or father's occupation. Is my next visit the LMA?
    Here's John's birth certificate

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast