Thread: Atkins

Maude

Default Atkins

Hi,
    my grandfather Albert Arthur Atkins and his sister Fanny May Maude Atkins were born in Nagpur India. Alberts birth date is 10 Jan 1878, Parents were Arthur Charles Atkins and Mary Anne Slattery / Atkins. Arthur was an inspector in the Railway Police and died in Harda 18/10/1879 - found this info in old newspaper. I havent been able to find any info on their births or their parents marriage. Have tried FIBIS and everywhere else I have been able to find. They are Roman Catholic so after reading all your threads, does anyone know where I would contact in India to find more info.

Thanks,
    Maude

Brick wall demolition expert!

The British Library holds a lot of colonial Indian records -
    https://www.
    bl.uk/

There also a lot of those records on Family Search.
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 23-01-2012 at 2:39 PM. Reason: link edited - BL has an online shop

Sylvia Murphy

It can often be difficult finding church records relating to Roman Catholics in India. I wonder if there might be some career information on Arthur Charles ATKINS in the India Office Records - possibly the L/F/10 series, though this will also depend on which railway company he was employed by - whether privately owned or government. I believe that this is the sort of job that a British (?Irish) soldier could have taken up after taking discharge in India from his regiment. The experts at
    www.
    fibis.org
    who monitor the India Mailing List on Rootsweb may be more help.
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 03-02-2012 at 1:03 AM. Reason: removed live link to site that has a shop -- please read our TERMS OF SERVICE

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Maude View Post
    They are Roman Catholic
    The India Office at the British Library does have returns of baptisms, marriages and burials from some Catholic churches in all three presidencies.

These cover only a relatively brief period (1835-1854). I don't know if those dates will be relevant for your research. The catalogue numbers are N/1/RC, N/2/RC and N/3/RC.

www.
    bl.uk/reshelp/findhelpregion/asia/india/indiaofficerecordsfamilyhistory/ecclesiastical/eccrecords.html

There's a link to the BL's search service near the top of that page.