AMartel

Default Jersey Industrial School for Boys

Does anyone know where I can find information or records on the Jersey Industrial School for Boys during the period 1860 - 1900?

Super Moderator

There is quite a lot on the web about the school - general information.

Are you looking for anyone in particular? Do you have access to the census records?

AMartel

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    There is quite a lot on the web about the school - general information.

Are you looking for anyone in particular? Do you have access to the census records?
    Hi Sue

Thanks for your response.

Yes, my great grandfather Francis Martel was there aged 13 on the 1871 census. I'd just like more information about the date he was sent there, why he was there (did his mother die?) and when he left. Also any records or educational reports that may still exist for his time there. I know a little about the history of the place, when it started and the recent news reports on abuse etc, but I'm really specifically interested in my great grandfathers time there.

Getting information on Family history in the Channel Islands is very hit and miss... and a bit frustrating to be honest. I contacted the Verger at St Brelades church a while ago, trying to find church records and burials etc, but got no response whatsoever.

I'll probably fly over at some point but would like to know where to look before I go so that I can make the most of the trip.

Andy

Jan1954

Hello Andy,

Have you been in contact with the Jersey Family History Society at all to see if they are able to help?

https://www.
    jerseyfamilyhistory.org/

AMartel

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Hello Andy,

Have you been in contact with the Jersey Family History Society at all to see if they are able to help?

https://www.
    jerseyfamilyhistory.org/
    Hi Jan

Yes, I joined a few weeks ago, but I don't think my membership kicks in till January... and hopefully then, I'll organise some research (its cheaper if you're a member!).

Thanks for everyone response... its very much appreciated.

Andy