allistairg1964

Unhappy Hans Gordon b. 1827-31

I am a newbie I am trying to find out where my Great Great Grandfather Hans Gordon came from he was married in 1850 All Saints parish CoI Tullylish Co.Down Northern Ireland to Ruth Robinson.
    I understand he was born between 1827-1831, but where?
    Father James.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Famous for offering help & advice

You can see him on the 1901 Census at https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ where he is said to be 70 years old and born in Co. Down. So is his wife. By 1911 (on the same site) she is widowed and said to be 84 and born in Co. Armagh.

Hans' death certificate should give his age - for pre-1922 events it's cheaper to order a non-certified copy from the Republic's GRO rather than a full certificate from the NI one. A memorial (if any) might also tell you a lot: a lot of those for Co. Down have been transcribed by the Ulster Historical Foundation. To pin down his death/burial, there's an entry that looks possible in Belfast City Cemeteries, which you can search online at (https://www)
    belfastcity.gov.uk/burialrecords/ - the address given may or may not be known to you. Searching for Hans Gordon actually brought up two further entries, who again may or may not be connected.

Hope this helps,

Arthur

allistairg1964

Hi Arthur

Thank you for the information I have his grave details addresses etc.
    My main issue is Pre 1850
    I have access to another site on it I found there that he was married in All Saints CoI in Tullylish Co. Down
    But also said that he was baptized in the same Church, I have checked with the Church they have no records of this.
    I have also found that he was born between 1827 and 1831 but where? is the big question.
    His Son James was born in 1854 he was baptized in All Saints CoI Tullylish.
    Will email the Church again to try and put this one to bed.

Thanks again

Allistair

Hi

Have you been on the Irish records site https://www.
    rootsireland.ie/ it has two marriages for Hans Gordon 1850 and one 1857 you will have to make yourself a member this is free, and for a small fee you can read the full marriage details

Peanut

allistairg1964

Hi Peanut

Thanks but yes I have seen this

Rgds

Allistair

Famous for offering help & advice

It appears that the Tullylish C of I registers for that period are at PRONI rather than in local custody, so you'd be better off contacting them. (This is from PRONI's Guide to Church Records, which I've just discovered and downloaded.)

Arthur