YvonneC

Default CORNWELL-Kenneth Charles Howis 1896-1940

I have recently been adv by a newly found Aust cousin that she recalls seeing a plaque inside a church, to the memory of Uncle Ken. This was some 50+ years ago & she thinks was in the area of Andover. She believes the plaque was erected in memory of Uncle Ken who died & is buried in India during WW2 by one of his siblings.
    Unfort I do not know any more than this.
    I have emailed numerous churches in the said area but have been unsuccessful in finding anything.
    I would love to know which church this is in & if possible have a photo of it for myself + our Aust relative.
    Is there anyone out there who can help or offer any suggestions please ????

Thanks Y

Jan1954

Hello Yvonne,

I have found Kenneth's details on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website (cwgc.org) where he is commemorated at Kirkee War Cemetery in India. He is recorded on the CWGC website as having been the son of Frederick and Adeline Cornwell and husband of Agnes Amelia Cornwell, of Aylesford, Kent.

Perhaps it would be worth an email to the CWGC to see what other details they may have and if they have reference to another memorial.

Now, a bit of a long shot, but Andover and Aylesford (although in different counties) both start with "A". Might there have been some confusion?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Didn't find what you asked but did come by Himself in national Probate calendar. Have you seen that? Not sureif it's ok to post.here goes, if naot right a trusty Mod will soon make 'whoosh'with it.

Cornwell Kenneth Charles Howis care of leslie Cornwell 23 Gladstone Ave FEltham, mIDDLESEX.
    died 1 july 1940 on war service Administration LLandudno
    27 August to Agnes Ammellia Cornwell Widow. Effects 192 pounds, 16 s 11 d..

sorry about capitals, that key gets so in the way!
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

janbooth

You could try an email to St Peter and St Paul church in Aylesford (do a Google search for their email address) to see if the vicar knows of a plaque inside the church or any other details re Kenneth. There is also a photograph of his headstone in Kirkee on the War Graves Photographic Project website.

Janet

YvonneC

Hi & thanks. I should probably have said in my enq that I have seen the details of Ken on the CWGC website but I will contact them to see if they know anything about the plaque - good idea.
    I will look into the Aylesford / Andover side of things.

Many thanks Yvonne

YvonneC

Yes I have seen this but thanks anyway.
    Yvonne

YvonneC

Hi Janet
    I have seen the photo of his war grave in India thanks.
    Thanks for the details of the church in Aylesford, I will send them an email today.
    Many thanks Yvonne