Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    boddso

Default Mark Holland in Newcastle 1902

Hi - I wonder if anyone out there can help me solve this puzzle?? I have a Mark Holland, born Union Road, Byker, Newcastle upon Tyne March 1902. Son of Joseph Holland and Clara nee Weedall. Trouble is - he doesn't appear in the 1911 census - at least not as Mark Holland! I am pretty sure he is Mark Tetlow, son of Joseph and Clara Tetlow, listed in Harrisons Yard Rochdale. I have been unable to find Mark Tetlow's birth details, but do have a birth cert. for Mark Holland. He marries as Mark Tetlow in 1926, in a Rochdale catholic church, listing Joseph Tetlow deceased as his father, but how on earth do I find out if they are one and the same person, and so go back further on this family line - either the Holland one or the Tetlow one ??? Any suggestions would easy my headache!

Coromandel

A Clara Weedall married in the Rochdale district in the second quarter of 1906. A Joseph Tetlow is on the same page. (GRO index via FreeBMD).

So one scenario might be that Clara had baby Mark before she married, but registered the child's name as if she was married to one Joseph Holland. Then she married Joseph Tetlow in 1906 and the boy took on Joseph's surname.

What was given as Joseph Holland's occupation on Mark's birth certificate? Can you find such a Joseph Holland on the census?

Knowledgeable and helpful

A Joseph Holland died in 1905 in Rochdale, aged 45 (first quarter via FindMyPast).

I just found Joseph and Clara Holland in the 1901 census.

RG13/4792 folio 24 page 40
    Joseph Holland age 42 born 1859 Hyde Cheshire owner of fried fish chip shop
    Clara Holland age 28 born 1873 born Manchester, Lancashire
    Bessie Holland age 5 born 1896 born Bristol, Gloucestershire
    Grace Holland age 7 months born 1901 born Byker, Newcastle on Tyne

Strange that Clara would remarry under her maiden name, if it indeed her.

I checked the 1911 census also, for Joseph and Clara and there's an Olive Weedall, stepdaughter, living with them listed as having been born 1892 in Chestham Hill, Lancashire.
    RG14/24663 SN73

In the 1901 census Olive is living with her grandfather John Weedall and a (sister?) Nora Weedall age 11. Both of them were listed as being born Crumpsall, Lancashire.
    RG13/3770 folio 168 page 44

In the 1891 census Nora is living with her grandfather again, with no sign of her parents. Maybe Clara was the mother of Nora and Olive and had them out of wedlock.
    RG12/3265 folio 119 page 38

(census records held by TNA, Crown copyright)

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Please remember to quote the references for census data -- see our guidelines here. Thanks.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by t@nya View Post
    Strange that Clara would remarry under her maiden name, if it indeed her.
    I can't find a marriage for Joseph Holland and Clara, so it may be that they never got round to marrying?

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    I can't find a marriage for Joseph Holland and Clara, so it may be that they never got round to marrying?
    Could be. I'm wondering if Joseph was the father of her daughter or daughters.

Coromandel

FreeBMD has:

Norah Easterley Weedall, birth registered Q2 1890
    Olive Easterley Weedall, birth registered Q3 1891

both in the Prestwich district (which covered Crumpsall)

A quick check of Ancestry. Both Olive and Nora married in the Rochdale district.

Olive E. to someone called Crossley in 1919
    Nora to someone called Ashworth in 1920.

I've found the registration for Grace Holland Q3 1900 in Northumberland.

I cannot find Bessie's one, under either Holland or Weedall.

malcolm99

I'm coming out of left field here and I am probably totally wrong but from my reading of the records Joseph Tetlow and Joseph Holland are the same person and it would be profitable to look for a reason for him changing his name between 1901 & 1911.

Could be. First of all, the 1905 death of Joseph Holland would have to be ruled out. It's a bit odd that the Joseph Holland who died that year is the exact same age as Joseph Tetlow.

I just notice something: I brought up the actual 1911 census image: they are listed as having been married 15 years. That makes the 'change of name' theory much more likely. Unless, of course, he was lying on the census, in order to legitimise his stepchildren (if they had been born out of wedlock).

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast