Thread: Free BMD

wenfri

Default Free BMD

I have a question in regards to Free BMD

During my time researching and seeking out the above. I have sent for Marriage certificates and they were not the right ones. Not for the people mentioned but for others

The names of the people I was hoping were married were not married. They were listed on the same page but not married to each other.
    I did get a refund so no loss. Just wasted time

So in fact how can one trust what is listed by BMD??

I have located a marriage between Elizabeth Bowey Bap May 12, 1844 Felton, Northumberland

Her supposed spouse a Robert Tweddell BAp 1844 Newcastle upon tyne Northumberland

Says they were married Aug 2, 1868.

Yet I can't a marriage on IGI or Family Search for the above people

Any suggestions??
    Wendy
    Last edited by wenfri; 16-11-2011 at 7:42 PM. Reason: adding info

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by wenfri View Post
    I have a question in regards to Free BMD. During my time researching and seeking out the above. I have sent for Marriage certificates and they were not the right ones. Not for the people mentioned but for others. The names of the people I was hoping were married were not married. They were listed on the same page but not married to each other. So in fact how can one trust what is listed by BMD??
    FreeBMD is based upon the General Register Office marriage indexes which, until 1912, do not show the spouse's name. Before this there is no way for the transcribers to know who married whom. If you're lucky there may only be two people with the same volume/page references but there can be up to eight. You may be able to match up some of the pairs by finding newspaper announcements or cross-referencing with censuses, death registrations, etc. If you're still unsure of who married whom you can always ask the GRO only to supply a certificate if it matches certain criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by wenfri View Post
    I have located a marriage between Elizabeth Bowey Bap May 12, 1844 Felton, Northumberland

Her supposed spouse a Robert Tweddell BAp 1844 Newcastle upon tyne Northumberland

Says they were married Aug 2, 1868.

Yet I can't a marriage on IGI or Family Search for the above people
    The two people you mention appear in the GRO index for the September quarter of 1868, in the Newcastle T. registration district vol. 10b, page 150. Also on that page are Sarah Stephenson and Robert Stuart.

In this case the relevant local registrar's index is online, at

https://www2.
    newcastle.gov.uk/msearch.nsf/msearch?openform

It only gives the year of the marriage but adds some extra information, namely the place of marriage (St Peters) and pairs up the couples, telling us that Robert Tweddell married Elizabeth Bowey and that Robert Stuart married Sarah Stephenson.

The IGI and FamilySearch are far from being complete. There are still very very many records that aren't online yet. If the local registrars say they married one another I see no reason to doubt it.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Wendy if you click on the spectacle icon, you can view the image, some are very hard to decipher & so make for errrors in transcribing. Some are in printed(typed) format so errors mau have been made then,.

Try matching up the names you find in folowing censuses or Baptisms if they are online.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

louisa maud

If you know the father of both bride and groom how about writing to the relevant register office and ask for their help, or ring in advance, some are very helpful, worth a try, might have been mistranscribed Tweddle, try variations

Happy hunting

Louisa Maud

louisa maud

1871 Gateshead RG12/5051 F 10 PAGE 14
    Robert Tweddell 27 master cartwright born Byker N/th/Land
    Elizabeth 27 Felton
    M,argaret 2 Felton
    Elizabeth 3 mths Gateshead

Louisa Maud