Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by maesglas/ssclub View Post
    Ebenezer DAVIES was a widower when he married Gwenllian LAWRENCE Widow on the 26th May 1856 in Abergavenny Wales, it states his Profession as FORGE INSPECTOR living at Clock or Dock Row, his father Morgan DAVIES is down as a GARDENER ??? we think, and her father is Edward WILLIAMS Profession COOPER, living at (we think) GleuEbw Row.

Witnesses we think is John ??????? possibly ook on the end and Elizabeth _wall ? very hard to read the writing.
    Going back through this thread - as a thought, if you have an image of the certificate you could upload it to PhotoBucket and forum members could take a shot at dechipering those difficult words for you.

This may not help resolve the the question "is the Morgan DAVID living in Trevethin his father" but it might be good to have those details clarified for their own sake.

debd

thanks so much i dont know alot about computers but my dad has a scanner so maybe after work tomorrow he could do it for me.thanks again debbie.

Quote Originally Posted by debd View Post
    Thanks so much olliecat,im sorry if i misled you the other day ,i was so excited i dont know what i did
    You have nothing to be sorry for.

I dont know where to go now,unless the Records office in Ebbw vale has more records or maybe post on Monmouthshire site.
    It can be tremendously difficult tracing the Welsh as you start to go pre-census.

From the birth place recorded in the 1851/1861 census for Morgan as Santebrid, Glamorgan and Saint Bride, Glamorgan, we can suppose that Morgan came from St Bride Major (Sant-y-Brid.) Other options would be …
    • Saint Bride’s Minor (Welsh name is Llansanffraid-Ar-Ogwr)
    • St Bride’s-Super-Ely (Welsh name is Llansanffraid-Ar-Elai)
    • St Bride’s Netherwent (Welsh name is Saint-y-Brid.) Since this is in Monmouthshire we can probably rule it out.

Checking FreeREG which has baptisms for all three places in Glamorgan for the relevant time period (i.e. St Bride’s Major, St Bride’s Minor and St Bride’s-Super-Ely), the only baptism records for Morgan DAVID/DAVIES/DAVIS that came up were the three in St Bride's Major.

Now although we can find potential baptisms in St Bride’s Major for the Morgan DAVID living in Trevethin, the problem I see at the moment is finding a solid connection between this Morgan and your Ebenezer.

If you feel that the Morgan DAVID living in Trevethin could be Ebenezer’s father, then I would keep at it. Perhaps work on Morgan and his family, starting with clues from the census. For example, we know that he had at least one child called Morgan and possibly another called Henry. Were there any other children of Morgan and Margaret born/baptised in Trevethin or nearby? Another question might be - is he related to Seth and Rachel Griffith with whom he was staying in one census? Perhaps we can figure out what happened to his son Morgan and determine if Henry was another son and what happened to him. You could also try looking for marriages for any children of Morgan children in the hope that Ebenezer may have been a witness. Who registered the death of Morgan? When did his wife die and who registered her death? Was Ebenezer in the area at this time? I’m afraid some of these questions could get expensive to answer, as you will need BMD certificates. How much you are willing to spend depends on how strongly you feel that this Morgan is yours.

It would be good to find a solid link to prove the connection between Morgan and Ebenezer but even if you end up disproving it, that’s not so bad since you could then concentrate your efforts elsewhere. I will have another hunt around tomorrow in the hope that I can find something else that may help.

The Welsh can take a long time to sort out. Sometimes its can be done and I’m sure you don’t intend to give up.

debd

Thanks olliecat,im never going to give up,as long as there is still a road to go down.i think i will search for the sons and see where this gets me.thanks so much debbie

debd

his children ; THOMAS DAVID bap 13/03 /1806 in MERTHYR.
    THOMAS ;bap 15/04/1810 MERTHYR
    MARY?????
    LLEWELYN DAVID bap;17/04/1808.In 1851 LEWELYN (thats how i found it) was living in ABERDARE,also in the 1861 and 1871. ref no; HO107/2460.

his children ; THOMAS DAVID bap 13/03 /1806 in MERTHYR.
    THOMAS ;bap 15/04/1810 MERTHYR
    MARY?????
    LLEWELYN DAVID bap;17/04/1808.In 1851 LEWELYN (thats how i found it) was living in ABERDARE,also in the 1861 and 1871. ref no; HO107/2460.
    I will have a look at this Llewelyn for you - but just be careful - there may have been more than one Llewelyn DAVID born in Merthyr Tydfil around 1808. I'll check him out in a wee bit.

I've been on the hunt for Morgan, son of the Morgan DAVID/DAVIES living in Trevethin. Here is one possibility for son Morgan in the later census...

1871: Piece: 5332 Folio: 20 Page: 2 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    Near Harod Enoch, Trevethin
    DAVID, Morgan, head, 51, farmer and collier, Trevethin Monmouthshire
    DAVID, Elizabeth, wife, 56, Carmarthen Carmarthenshire
    DAVID, Margaret, dau, 19, Trevethin Monmouthshire
    DAVID, David, son, 19, Trevethin Monmouthshire
    DAVIES, Margt, mother, 96, Brecon Breconshire

He is the only Morgan I can find born abt 1820+/5 in Trevethin in the census. There are other Morgans living in Trevethin (birth place not Trevethin) but I haven’t looked at them as yet. One problem is that mother Margaret’s birth place is recorded as Brecon. I am assuming that this is Morgan's mother, but for all we know at this point Elizabeth's maiden name could be DAVID/DAVIES and it could be her mother.

The annoyance is that although I can see this family in the 1891 census, I can't see them in the 1861 or 1881 census. Can anyone else find this family?

In 1851 LEWELYN (thats how i found it) was living in ABERDARE,also in the 1861 and 1871. ref no; HO107/2460.
    I have looked at this Llewelyn. I’ll just post the details here …

1851: Piece: 2460 Folio: 100 Page: 35
    Abernant Y Gros Uchaf, Aberdare, Merthyr Tydfil
    DAVIS, Llewellyn, head, 42, coal miner, Merthyr Glam
    DAVIS, Mary, wife, 41, Aberdare Glam
    DAVIS, Thomas, son, 8, Aberdare
    DAVIS, Daniel son, 3, Aberdare
    WILLIAMS, Elizabeth, servant, 19, house serv, Aberdare
    LOYD, James, visitor, 29, boat builder, N K Cardiganshire
    WILLIAMS, Hannah, visitor, 27, flanel carrier

1861: Piece: 4070 Folio: 35 Page: 13
    1 Timothy Row, Aberdare
    DAVID, Llewellyn, head, 54, coal miner, Merthyr Tydfil Glam
    DAVID, Mary, wife, 52, Aberdare Glam, Deaf
    DAVID, Thomas, son, 18, coal miner, Aberdare Glam
    DAVID, Mary, dau, 6, Aberdare Glam
    JONE, Eliza, servant, 18, Glyncorwg Glam
    TEAGUE, James, boarder, 23, labourer at coal pit, Pembrokeshire

1871: RG10; Piece: 5410; Folio: 13; Page: 19
    Timothy Row, Aberdare
    DAVID, Lewellyn, head, 64, collier, Glamorgan
    DAVID, Mary, wife, 61, Glamorgan
    DAVID, Jane, dau, 16, Glamorgan

A possible death for Llewelyn…

Death Jun 1873 Merthyr Tydfil 11A 229
    DAVIES, Llewellyn
    Age 64
    Est birth date. 1809

Or is he in the 1881 census here?

1881: Piece: 5325 Folio: 29 Page: 39
    Abernanty Groes Uchaf Farm, Aberdare
    DAVID, Daniel, head, single, 71, farmer, Merthyr Tydfil Glam
    DAVID, Llewelyn, brother, widower, 74, retired coal miner, Merthyr Tydfil Glam
    THEOPHILUS, Elizabeth, niece, single, 38, housekeeper, Aberdare Glam
    BEDDOE, Matty, niece, single, 16, pupil teacher, Aberdare Glam
    PRICE, Susan, servant, 34, domestic servant, Trecastell Brecknockshire
    JONES, Wm, servant, 23, farm servant indoors, Maes Y Mynydd Brecknockshire

So, another possible death for Llewelyn…

Death Jun 1889 Merthyr Tydfil 11A 354
    DAVID, Llewelyn
    Age 82
    Est. birth date: 1807

I can’t find marriage a in the BMD index between 1837 and 1851 for a Llewelyn DAVID (or variants) to a Mary. However, this could be him in the 1841 census…

1841: Piece: 1420 Book/Folio: 1/ Page: 8
    Aberdare Village, Aberdare, Merthyr Tydfil
    DAVIES, Llewellyn, 30, collier, Glamorgan
    DAVIES, Mary 30, Glamorgan
    DAVIES, Thomas, 2, Glamorgan
    DAVIES, Gwenllian, 7 mo, Glamorgan
    MORGAN, Thomas, 35, Glamorgan
    HERBERT, David, 20

Neither of the children show up in the 1851 census but it is feasible that one or both died. If this is the correct Llewelyn then this could be their marriage in 1835…

• Marriage on 02 Nov 1835 at Aberdare,
      Llewellyn DAVIES of Aberdare to Mary WILLIAMS of Aberdare.

A pity the marriage was before civil registration. If it had been after then you could have purchased their marriage certificate and found out the name of his father. However, the 1881 census is interesting in that he appears to living with a brother Daniel.

Note: This Daniel left a will and I’ve traced him back to see if he leads us to a father’s name. I suspect his father's name is William (who also left a will), but I’ll review and post up the details after some shut-eye.

(Census crown copyright, care of the TNA)

Valued member of Brit-Gen

hello olliecat and thankyou so much,
    i havnt had time to absorb info as ive just come in from work,but it looks good
    im at my dads and trying to find out where and how you use photobucket but cant seem to see anything.
    Please can you give me instructions.
    Many Thanks,
    Debbie and Rob.

Jan1954

im at my dads and trying to find out where and how you use photobucket but cant seem to see anything.
    Hi there,

As Olliecat is not currently online, I can answer that question for you. Have a look at this thread and you will see instructions.

Hi

I'm still going through the information I've found on Llewelyn and Daniel DAVID but I will post it up in an hour or so.

For Photobucket. Have a look at the instructions here.

Edit: Jan has answered you already. Back later!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast