Phil L

Question People Description in Will

I have a will written in 1618 the person has written Godchildren in a number of spots regarding to a number of different people could she be meaning Grand children? And also she has written Son-in-Law also referring to a number of people could this be sons as it seems to fit well with the tree I have if this is the case. Is this likely wording or am I jumping to unrealistic conclusions?

Coromandel

Godchild/grandchild
    Someone could be both grandparent and godparent to the same child, but as far as I know the two terms have never been synonymous.

Son-in-law
    Besides 'daughter's husband' this term also once meant 'step-son'.

Loves to help with queries

Prior to Cromwell, one of the most important naming patterns was the naming of a child after its godparent. If you read some of George Redmonds' books, he talks about this. Someone who was reasonably successful might easily acquire a dozen godchildren. I've seen this many listed in early wills. They might also be relatives of some sort, by blood or marriage. cicilysmith

Reputation beyond repute

From the The Oxford Dictionary of Local and Family History...

Godparent. A family friend who sponsors a child at baptism. The ancient practice was for a child to have two godparents of his or her own sex and one of the other. Godparents had an important influence on choosing the name of their godchild.

Son-in-law. The term was often used to mean ‘stepson’. A ‘son-in-law’ was often referred to as ‘son’.