Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Reputation beyond repute

Effects £215 0s 8d
    Up to 1881 the figure was more often than not expressed as an approximation in the form of "Effects under £...."

Until 1898 the value shown was for personal estate only. From 1898, real property might be included.

terrysfamily

I have now filled in the forms for both wills, written the cheques and remembered to sign them, and my brother said if I drop them off in the morning on my way to work, he’ll post them. (He’s a gud’en, when he’s not doin my flippin head in). He probably wants a favour *sigh*

soooo 22 days and counting (like a kid waiting for Christmas)

terrysfamily

And I’m back

While away I have received both my wills.

Hannah Evans – Hannah left everything to be shared equally between her 6 children.

Clara Battley – Clara left as follows

Annie (Hannah) Marie Evans (sister) – Pair of sugar tongs & a small teapot
    Mrs Mary Jane Drayton (sister) – Book of 12 war savings certificates.
    Arthur James Evans (brother) – A cushion.
    Walter Evans (brother) – Presentation purse.
    Charles Henry Evans (brother) – Marble Clock.
    Dorothy May (should be Mary) Drayton (niece) - Book of 12 war savings certificates.
    Mrs Florence Minton - Book of 12 war savings certificates, Watch & chain, Broaches and any other trinkets.

Bedding and clothing to be equally divided between Mrs Mary Jane Drayton and Mrs Florence Minton.

Dorothy Drayton married Samuel Beddoes and had 2 children before she died of TB in 1938. Samuel died in 1945.

She left her money to her children, it was to be given them on their coming of age. She left the money for her son in the hands of her brother. The son duly received his money. The daughters money she left in the care of Florrie Minton who promptly spent the lot, leaving the daughter without an inheritance.

And as for Arthur and Walter, unless the said cushion and purse were full of fivers I’d feel rather peeved.

What would be the value of a book of 12 war savings certificates, anyone know?

Coromandel

Welcome back, Terry, we've missed you

I think the war savings certificates were probably a much more generous gift than a cushion, unless it was a very special cushion. According to a poster in the Imperial War Museum's collection, if you'd bought War Savings Certificates in 1918 (at 15s.6d. each) and then held onto them for 5 years they'd be worth £1 each:

https://www.
    iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/29903

So that would be £12 per book once the certificates were 5 years old. I'm not a great buyer of cushions but I suspect that you could have got quite a lot of cushions for £12 in the 1920s.

terrysfamily

Thank you very much Coromandel, I've probably missed being on here more than anyone on here has missed me.

Thank you too for the information on the certificates.

At 15s.6d. each, a book of 12 would have cost (I may have this wrong) £9.3s. At todays value that's about £437. The increase to £12 when sold gives a value of about £573. that's £2.17s profit or about £136 over 5 years. Sometimes a time machine would come in very handy

ps. My computer has just finished downloading its updates. I now need to restart it. If I'm not back in a few mins you'll all know it's gone belly-up again

WooHoo I'm back PHEWWWWW

terrysfamily

Hi Graham, I would deffinatly get more but alas I can't seem to find any other imidiate family who left wills. I would have loved to have found one for my great grandfather Campbell Simeon Drayton but his wife had it and shared it amongst the children. There is so much that I do know about this man but there is still a lot that I would like to know. A picture would be a start.

Terry

LittleSpark

Hi Terry,
    You may already have seen this....

If you 'google' Campbell Simeon Drayton, click on 4th entry down entitled 'Impossible?' and it will take you to forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=25877.

If you go through the replies given you will see one marked Inquest - this gives details of Ernest Drayton, son of Campbell Simeon Drayton.

Sheila

terrysfamily

Hi Sheila, Yes, I've already seen it.... well actually it was me that wrote it. My gran was supposed to mary Ernest but as he was killed she married his brother instead.

Thank you very much for looking for me though. It was very kind of you.

Terry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123