Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    pajero

Default James Stickley 1840

Hi Folks
    I seem to have a problem with a person on my tree he seems to be in two places at once his full name is James Stickley born 1840 in Wareham / Bere Regis another person has him marrying Mary Ann Whibley in Hunton Kent in 1861 which is in all the census returns from 1861 onwards but in the census returns for his dorset wife Elizabeth ( Maidment ) which he married in 1866 ( I have the certificate ) he is missing I have looked through military records for postings etc but can find nothing out at all hope this makes sense any help would be appreciated or have we the same person but with 2 wives

also on his marrage cert to Elizabeth he is down as a widower but I cant find any record of a previous marrage

many thanks

confused

Name well known on Brit-Gen

There is a marriage for a James Stickley in Wareham in 1858 to either Mary Ann Melmoth or Maria Read Oct 1/4 5a-651

Another to Mary Ann Whibley in Oct.!/4 1861. Maidstone, Kent
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Lizzy9

How certain are you that 'your' James was born 1840? What age is given on his marriage certificate and who is named as his father, what were James' and his father's occupations, any clues in witness names, eg siblings perhaps?

Lizzy9

Could this be him?

1881, Milborne Dorset, RG11; Piece: 2087; Folio: 10; Page: 21 (Crown copyright, in care of TNA)

James Stickley 48, Ag. Lab.
    Elizabeth Stickley 41
    Ida E.W. Stickley 23
    Alfred G.L. Stickley 16
    Mary B. Stickley 11
    Florence M. Stickley 3

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by pajero View Post
    also on his marrage cert to Elizabeth he is down as a widower but I cant find any record of a previous marrage
    I think the James in 1881 census above could have been married previously as there's a big age gap between Ida and the next child Alfred.

I'll look for Ida in 1861.

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    I think the James in 1881 census above could have been married previously as there's a big age gap between Ida and the next child Alfred.

I'll look for Ida in 1861.
    Sorry, I've jut been on a wild goose chase as James, Elizabeth and Ida ARE all together in 1861, however I haven't found a marriage for them.

Are you researching a child of James Stickley and Elizabeth Maidment, if so can you please post the details of name and when/where born?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I forot to add, there is a death for a Mary Ann stickley in 1862 which may allow for another marriage in 1866.

Deaths Mar 1862
    STICKLEY,.. Mary Ann.. Wareham.. 5a-226
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

pajero

Hi again
    many thanks for your help so far I have found new bits out already
    the details on the marrage cert are
    married 23 dec 1866 in wimbourne
    james stickley was a groom and a widower born Blandford/wimbourne and his father was also called James and he worked as a labourer no age for either on the cert
    Elizabeth Maidment was a spinster born wimbourne father was robert also a labourer
    the witnesses were John and Sophia Maidment Elizabeths siblings
    my main person for research is charles stickley elizabeth and james son born 1867 in blandford
    james stickley born 1840 is a guess on the date of birth choice of
    james milner adams stickley born 1840 in wareham
    james stickley born 1845 born blandford
    james stickley born 1846 born wareham
    if he was married 1862 the 1840 one sounds more likely

many thanks

Keyboard86

Hi I think the confusiob lies with the fact that their are 2 James Stickley's b Bere Regis, 1 b c 1832 the other c 1840?
    They are both easy to follow on census from HO107/278/ 3/2/ 2 James 1832 with parents James and Hannah, the other James 1840 HO107/278/ 2/28/ 10

In 1871 James 1832 with Elizabeth RG10/1976/5/4
    In 1871 James 1840 with Mary A RG10/1079/74/13

Hope this helps you solve your problem, all the best to all who know me
    Keyboard86

All census refs Crown Copyright in care of TNA

Keyboard86

Hi aftet seeing your replt above I think a re-think is necessary ie Charles Stickley 1867 has thrown a spanner in the works! Census ref RG10/1978/13/18 for 1871 Elizabeth
    Census ref Crown copyright in care of TNA
    Keyboard86

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast