sonjabuk

Default William Holt Devereux

Okay so not sure exactly which forum to put this in, but here goes

Born 1874 Liverpool - Died 1959 Bournemouth.

So where was he during that time?

Got him on the 1881 living in Newton in Makerfield (Lancashire)
    1891 - St Helens

after that I lose him.

But then a mention in a will (1929) - he gets left some money and he has a wife called Emma.

So off I go searching for him - to find him returning from Durban 1928 on the Carnarvon Castle - with said wife Emma and he is a Chief Prison Warder.

They are going to meet a Mr A Ginn (Gunn?) Church Sq Over Cambs.

https://
    search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=1518&iid=30807_A000882-00097&fn=Wm+Holt&ln=Devereux&st=r&ssrc=pt_t4489846 _p-1264438691_kpidz0q3d-1264438691z0q26aidz0q3d18556800894z0q26pgz0q3d3277 1z0q26pgPLz0q3dpidz0q257caid&pid=4576799

- ships record.

Then a death record for him in 1959 for Bournemouth.

Not in a position to send off for the certificate yet - but hope to eventually.

So I wonder where he was after 1891 until 1928 and then until his death in 1959.

Can anyone she any light please?

Sonja
    (nee Devereux)
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 12-09-2011 at 5:52 PM. Reason: removed direct link to commercial site - please read our Terms of Service.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by sonjabuk View Post
    So off I go searching for him - to find him returning from Durban 1928 on the Carnarvon Castle - with said wife Emma and he is a Chief Prison Warder.
    Looking at the NAAIRS database, I wonder if this is William in 1905.

DEPOT TAB
    SOURCE LD
    TYPE LEER
    VOLUME_NO 1175
    SYSTEM 01
    REFERENCE AG5890/05
    PART 1
    DESCRIPTION PROMOTION - 2ND CL HD WARDER WH DEVEREUX, PRETORIA PRISON, TO 3RD CL GAOLER, PIETERSBURG PRISON.
    STARTING 1905
    ENDING 1905

Name well known on Brit-Gen

It will be worth your while purchasing a few credits on the paysite Find My Past, where you will find his army service record which includes details of his marriage. The same site will also show you an outward passage to the Cape for him and his wife in 1920.

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    Looking at the NAAIRS database, I wonder if this is William in 1905.

DEPOT TAB
    SOURCE LD
    TYPE LEER
    VOLUME_NO 1175
    SYSTEM 01
    REFERENCE AG5890/05
    PART 1
    DESCRIPTION PROMOTION - 2ND CL HD WARDER WH DEVEREUX, PRETORIA PRISON, TO 3RD CL GAOLER, PIETERSBURG PRISON.
    STARTING 1905
    ENDING 1905
    As this is a TAB file (Transvaal Archives) you can get a digital copy e-mailed to you at nominal cost via eggsa.org (put www in front). Click on FAQ under Document Ordering Service on the home page and it tells you all you need to know.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

sonjabuk

You guys are the tops!!

Thank you so much for your help.

See what goes around comes around - I might not have been much help to people on here - but this weekend has been a brickwall breaker - I helped a young woman make contact with her Dads cousin.

sonjabuk

All records now found and printed.

Thanks guys.

Now if I could just find out which County his Grandad was born in (Ireland) that would be the icing on the cake.

sonjabuk

Records received from NAAIRS database, 4 images in total cost me £3.90 (bargain) not had time to really read them yet - writing is a bit feint. Have told my father and Uncle about this new info and they are so excited by it all.

Quote Originally Posted by sonjabuk View Post
    Records received from NAAIRS database, 4 images in total cost me £3.90 (bargain) not had time to really read them yet - writing is a bit feint. Have told my father and Uncle about this new info and they are so excited by it all.
    Great. Eggsa do provide a very good service.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids