Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    FredP

Default Emily August & George Kendel

Emily August b Foulford near Ringwood 16 Apr 1841 married George Kendel at Millbrook 03 May 1863.

He is said to have been from Romsey b c1840 but the only birth registration I have found is Sepqtr 1842 Alverstoke 7 27 and I have otherwise not been able to find any definite reference to him, even trying variants of the surname..

Emily was a cousin of my grandmother and received some money under the will of their grandfather William Tanner who died in 1861. She was staying with him in 1851, but appears as Emily Webb in the 1861 census (the name of her stepfather).

I have so far found no other reference to either Emily or George. Other members of the family I have been in contact with have been unable to help. Might they have emigrated?

If anyone has any information or suggestions as to what became of them I should be most grateful.

Thanks, FredP.

Famous for offering help & advice

I can see an Emily Kendall b 1843 Brockenhurst with husband George James Kendall, 7 children and a servant , in Croydon in 1881. This George was a wholesale clothier. Is that a possibility? Place of birth Allesbury Bucks so may not be yours.

census ref RG11 p812 f112 p8 crown copyright in care of TNA

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    I can see an Emily Kendall b 1843 Brockenhurst with husband George James Kendall, 7 children and a servant , in Croydon in 1881. This George was a wholesale clothier. Is that a possibility? Place of birth Allesbury Bucks so may not be yours.

census ref RG11 p812 f112 p8 crown copyright in care of TNA
    Sorry I think that George married an Emily Quinton

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by FredP View Post
    George Kendel ....is said to have been from Romsey b c1840 but the only birth registration I have found is Sepqtr 1842 Alverstoke 7 27
    Fred, where did you get the information that he may have been born in Romsey?

malcolm99

Fred, have you considered that your George Kendel is the George living at Hightown, Ringwood in the 1841 Census. Hightown is only just over a mile from Foulford.
    Census Ref: HO107 Piece 398 fol. 25/6 p. 7

By the way I can find the 1851 Census ref for Emily [HO107 Piece 1667 fol.433 p.10] but I can’t identify the 1861 reference. Can you tell us what it is please?

(Records in care of TNA: Crown copyright)

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    Fred, have you considered that your George Kendel is the George living at Hightown, Ringwood in the 1841 Census. Hightown is only just over a mile from Foulford.
    Too hasty I'm afraid. It looks like he married a Louisa Pink from Bagshot, Surrey and the family can be traced through to Kensingon in the 1881 census.

I would have thought though that there was a good chance of some connection between this Kendel family and Emily's George.

FredP

Thank you Grisel and Malcolm for the trouble you have taken. I will check on the Croydon family but it seems unlikely.

That George Kendal was born in Romsey I got from a member of the August family (who also gave me the details of William Tanner's Will) but no other tree I have seen has anything more about him. He could have been born in Ringwood area but Emily had moved to Romsey before 1861. Her 1861 census ref is RG09/685 f120 p2 - Cross Keys Inn, Bell St, Romsey. (Crown Copyright Record from TNA).

My father's cousin John Leonard Tanner married a Jane Kendell in Ringwood in 1895, and I am trying to find (so far unsuccessfully) to see if there is any link between the two families. I will have to see what information the George/Emily marriage certificate can supply.
    I will let you know.

Thanks, FredP.

malcolm99

Fred

Have you seen this site https://www.
    kendallfamily.org.uk

There’s a bit about Jane here: https://
    blog.kendallfamily.org.uk/2009/09/children-of-john-kindle-and-elizabeth.html (also look at Sarah just above)

By the way if you’ve tried to find Jane’s parents on the 1861 census and failed, they are here: RG9 Piece 668 fol.78 p.3

(Record in care of TNA: Crown copyright)

FredP

Thank you, Malcolm, for this information. I had not known of the Kendall family site, nor had I found the 1861 census page, which also has other Tanner relations - Cox and Keeping - on it.
    FredP.

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by FredP View Post
    Emily August b Foulford near Ringwood 16 Apr 1841 married George Kendel at Millbrook 03 May 1863.

I have so far found no other reference to either Emily or George. Other members of the family I have been in contact with have been unable to help.
    Fred, it might be worth checking this scenario.

1863: Emily August and George Kendel married at Millbrook in May.
    1867: A George KENDAL, age 34, died in Romsey RD in Sep Q.
    1869: Emily KENDEL married William Irving Bacon in Southampton RD in Dec Q.

1871 Census: RG10/1206 fol.87 p.16. Address “The Dragon and Horses”, High Street, Stockbridge.
    William Bacon, Head, age 30, Licensed Victualler; born Carlisle, Cumberland
    Emily Bacon, wife, age 29; born Ringwood, Hants

1880. Death of Emily Bacon, age 38, in Romsey RD in Jun Q.

I haven’t been able to trace William Irving Bacon but interestingly there is William Bacon Irving born in Carlisle Jun Q 1840.

(Record in care of TNA: Crown copyright)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast