Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Burials for George and Mary Ann Kendal. The abode matches the address in the 1841 census.

• Geo Hendel? [Kendal] on 1 Jun 1840 at Poole. Age 48. Abode Parkstone.
    • Mary Ann Kendel on 16 Sep 1841 at Poole. Age 37. Abode Parkstone.

Will now leave it for little while in case I am running away with myself. I think all this looks hopeful as I keep coming across Poole/Salisbury links for this Kendel family. Further work is needed to establish that the George who was born in Salisbury as the same George who married Emily August.

FredP

Thanks Olliecat (and Malcolm).
    The Salisbury connected family seems a distinct possibility. I will delve further as soon as I get a little more time.
    I will also look into the Coombs connection. My g-g-grandmother Elizabeth Tanner nee Cox had, I believe, a niece Love Keeping who married a Coombs from Fordingbridge. Emily August was also her neice, but on the Tanner side of the family.
    Love and her husband and children moved to Wilton near Salisbury, but I haven't so far checked on any other of his relations.

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    Possible children of this couple (going by the 1841 census, see below), although I haven't come across a baptism for George yet...

Mary Anne Kendell bap. on 17 Feb 1832 at St. Edmunds, Salisbury, Wiltshire. Parents George and Mary Ann
    Caroline Pitman Kendel bap. on 25 Mar 1836 at Saint James, Poole. Parents George and Mary Ann
    (note: victualler)
    Ellen Crumly Kendel bap. on 07 Sep 1837 at Saint James, Poole, Dorset. Parents George and Mary Ann
    (note: Innkeeper)

1841: Piece: 287 Book/Folio: 6/20 Page: 4 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    St Church Road, Canford Magna, Parkstone, Poole, Dorset
    KENDALL, Mary Ann 35, ind.
    KENDALL, Mary Ann 9
    KENDALL, George 8
    KENDALL, Caroline 5, Dorset
    KENDALL, Ellen 4, Dorset

1851: piece 1931 folio 340 page 23 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    Gully House, Horsington, Somersetshire
    COOMBS, Robert, head, 40, occupier of house & land, Pulham Dorset
    COOMBS, Mary, wife, 60, proprietor of house & land, Sturminster Dorset
    KENDAL, Mary A, niece, 19, Salisbury Wiltshire
    KENDAL, Caroline P, niece, 15, Pool Dorset

ROGERS, Sarah, visitor, wid, 79, anuitant, East Pennard Somerset
    CURTIS, Kitty, servant, 26, house servant, Milborne Port Somerset

I don't know if this is a good possibility yet as I still haven't figured out exactly how the KENDAL nieces link to the COOMBS, or what happened to George and Mary Ann KENDELL.
    I haven't followed this up yet (rather too close to bedtime) but I've found this which could be interesting:

Mary Ann Kendel married James COOMBS in Wincanton RD Jun Q 1853
    Caroline Pitman Kendel married Joseph Robbins Cole in Wincanton RD Dec Q 1859

Late addition: Horsington (1851 Census address) is in Wincanton RD
    Last edited by malcolm99; 25-10-2011 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Late addition

FredP

Another piece of information that may be relevant -
    William Shearley, uncle of Elizabeth Tanner, nee Cox, died in Horsington. He was her mother's brother. The Shearleys were a Ringwood family so connected to the above-mentioned Love Coombs nee Keeping, and another link back to Emily August.
    Will check whether there are any further links as soon as possible. He had, I believe something like a dozan children!

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by FredP View Post
    William Shearley, uncle of Elizabeth Tanner, nee Cox, died in Horsington. He was her mother's brother.
    Hello Fred

I'm getting a bit lost here. A couple of questions for you.

When did William Shearley die?

Who did Elizabeth (nee Cox) marry? Was it into the Isaac/Louisa/Aaron/Peter side of the Tanner family c1817-1823(or1830)?

FredP

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    Hello Fred

I'm getting a bit lost here. A couple of questions for you.

When did William Shearley die?

Who did Elizabeth (nee Cox) marry? Was it into the Isaac/Louisa/Aaron/Peter side of the Tanner family c1817-1823(or1830)?
    Yes, it's beginning to get a bit confusing.
    Elizabeth Cox married John Tanner b 1804, 2nd son of the William Tanner whose other children included those you mention and many others.
    Emily August was Louisa's daughter.
    Mary Ann Self (witness at her wedding) was John and Elizabeth's daughter. After her death Thomas Self re-married twice, the 2nd time to Emily Jane the eldest daughter of Peter Tanner.
    Peter Tanner was married to the sister of Emily August's step-father.
    John and Elizabeth's grandson John Leonard A B Tanner married Jane Kendell. My original query was whether she was related to the George Kendel who married Emily August.
    William Shearley died 13/06/1851. I only checked on him when the Kendell search led to Horsington. He must have gone there and married at the end of the 18th century. Several of his 13 children seem to have gone to New Zealand; the information I have about him and his family came from one of their descendents. I have now looked and not been able to find any Coombs connection apart from the marriage of his great-niece to George Coombs from Fordingbridge.

I hope this explanation doesn't add still further to the confusion.

malcolm99

Thanks for the extra information Fred.

Another connection for you (if you haven’t already got it).

Sarah Rogers in the Horsington 1851 Census (Olliecat’s #18) seems to be the Sarah Rogers in this 1841 Census entry: HO107 Piece 945 bk/fol. 8/17 p. 3 (WINCANTON RD)

Address: South Cheriton, Horsington, Somerset

Mary PITMAN, age 45, [of Independent means], born Somerset
    Sarah ROGERS, age 65, born in Somerset
    Amelia ROAD (?), age 10, female servant, born in Somerset

The PITMAN name fits in jolly neatly with Caroline Kendall’s middle name in Olliecat’s #18 and my #23.

(Record in care of TNA: Crown copyright)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123