Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    FredP

Here are the details of Emily's marriage to Kendel.

May 3rd 1863 by licence at the Parish Church, Millbrook.
    George Kendel, of full age, bachelor, Cabinet Maker of Romsey, father George Kendel, no rank or profession given.
    Emily August, 22 years, spinster, residing Redbridge, father James August, Farmer.
    Witnesses, Thomas Self & Mary Ann Self.

Mary Ann Self (nee Tanner) was Emily's cousin and my grandmother's eldest sister. She and her husband had the Anchor Inn,Redbridge, where presumably Emily was living and helping in the pub or with the childen.
    Malcolm's scenario seems the probable outcome of this marriage. Two items ti be added to the mix -
    Mary Ann died in childbirth in 1865; Emily's mother Louisa died in 1871 in Romsey (as Louisa Webb).

Emily's father James August had been deported to Tasmania c1845, and when he returned to England he formed another partnership, and died in Ringwood in 1877.

FredP

Details from the Marriage Cert.

May 3rd 1863 by licence at Millbrook Parish Church.
    George Kendel, Bachelor of full age, Cabinet Maker, residing Romsey, father Geoirge Kendel, no rank or profession givem.
    Emily August, spinster, 22 years, residing Redbridge, father James August, farmer.
    Witnesses Thomas Self & Mary Ann Self.

Thomas & Mary Ann Self had the Anchor Inn, Redbridge. Mary Ann was my grandmother Georgina Partridge (nee Tanner)'s sister and Emily's cousin. George's death cert, of 1867 gives his age as 34, so his birth date would be c1833.
    FredP.

malcolm99

Well a very good candidate would be George Kendall age 9 living in Frogham, Fordingbridge in the 1841 census. Frogham’s only about 5/6 miles from Ringwood. HO107 Piece 397 fol. 12/9 p. 13

(Record in care of TNA: Crown copyright)

malcolm99

And he’s an apprentice carpenter in 1851 in Fordingbridge. HO107 Piece 1667 fol. 540 p. 37

malcolm99

It may not be him after all - he's in the 1871 Census married to Ann with 4 daughters and a son. RG10 Piece 2054 fol. 84 p. 10

Brick wall demolition expert!

Has anyone checked this ...

1861 census: George Kendell born abt. 1834 in Salisbury, Wiltshire. Lodging in Romsey. Occuption Cabinet Maker.

1861: Piece: 685 Folio: 40 Page: 3
    1851: Piece: 1847 Folio: 145 Page: 13
    (Census crown copyright, care of the TNA)

malcolm99

Oh that's very good Olliecat, it looks terribly like him - my excuse is that I had trouble finding "..., ..." on FMP!!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    Oh that's very good Olliecat, it looks terribly like him - my excuse is that I had trouble finding "..., ..." on FMP!!
    Well granted he was transcribed without any name at all on FMP - but still.

I'm flagging a bit with tracing him prior to 1851. A possibility which I haven't yet worked through is as follows. There is this marriage in Wiltshire...

groom's name: George Kendel
    bride's name: Mary Ann Crumly
    marriage date: 06 Jan 1831
    marriage place: Saint Edmunds,Salisbury,Wiltshire,England
    (Family Search)

Possible children of this couple (going by the 1841 census, see below), although I haven't come across a baptism for George yet...

1. Mary Anne Kendell bap. on 17 Feb 1832 at St. Edmunds, Salisbury, Wiltshire. Parents George and Mary Ann
    2. Caroline Pitman Kendel bap. on 25 Mar 1836 at Saint James, Poole. Parents George and Mary Ann
      (note: victualler)
    3. Ellen Crumly Kendel bap. on 07 Sep 1837 at Saint James, Poole, Dorset. Parents George and Mary Ann
      (note: Innkeeper)

1841: Piece: 287 Book/Folio: 6/20 Page: 4 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    St Church Road, Canford Magna, Parkstone, Poole, Dorset
    KENDALL, Mary Ann 35, ind.
    KENDALL, Mary Ann 9
    KENDALL, George 8
    KENDALL, Caroline 5, Dorset
    KENDALL, Ellen 4, Dorset

1851: piece 1931 folio 340 page 23 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    Gully House, Horsington, Somersetshire
    COOMBS, Robert, head, 40, occupier of house & land, Pulham Dorset
    COOMBS, Mary, wife, 60, proprietor of house & land, Sturminster Dorset
    KENDAL, Mary A, niece, 19, Salisbury Wiltshire
    KENDAL, Caroline P, niece, 15, Pool Dorset
    ROGERS, Sarah, visitor, wid, 79, anuitant, East Pennard Somerset
    CURTIS, Kitty, servant, 26, house servant, Milborne Port Somerset

I don't know if this is a good possibility yet as I still haven't figured out exactly how the KENDAL nieces link to the COOMBS, or what happened to George and Mary Ann KENDELL. Perhaps you could take a look at this lot Malcolm as I desperately need kettle break.

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    Possible children of this couple (going by the 1841 census, see below), although I haven't come across a baptism for George yet...
    I just searched without using a surname and I think this is probably him.

name: George Rendal
    baptism/christening date: 09 Aug 1833
    baptism/christening place: St. Edmunds, Salisbury, Wiltshire, England
    birth date: 12 Apr 1833
    father's name: George Rendal
    mother's name: Mary Anne
    (Family Search)

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    I don't know if this is a good possibility yet as I still haven't figured out exactly how the KENDAL nieces link to the COOMBS, or what happened to George and Mary Ann KENDELL.
    This could be the Will of George snr...

George Kendal, Inn Keeper, Poole, Dorset, written on 27 February 1837, proved on 9 October 1840

It can be downloaded from the National Archives here. Note: click the link twice if it doesn't take you directly to the entry.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast