Steve C

Default 1910 & 20 Massachusetts Census Look Up please

Just wondering whether there is anyone who has access to the 1910 and 1920 Census for Massachusetts who would be kind enough to carry out a "Look Up" for me please.

I`m trying to find information on Harry Springthorpe born Leicester, England circa 1882, his wife Florence and one child I believe. Someone has suggested that they lived Lynn Ward 4 Essex, Massachusetts in 1910 and Lynn Ward 3 Essex, Massachusetts in 1920.

Many thanks in advance for all offers of help and information

Steve

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

That's correct.

In 1920 census, there is a Sydney Sringthorpe c1908 b.England with them. Harry is a 'Laster' in the shoe industry. Living at 43, Ridgeway Street.

1910 census, they are living at 377. Duke St. Occ. Edge trimmer - Shoe factory.

There is also an Canadian Attestation paper(7th July 1917), listing his address as 4, Acorn Street, Lynn. Mass.

His d.o.b is 28th April 1881. and he's a shoe worker.

He was 36yrs & 2months on enlistment. 5ft-4ins tall. Blue eyes & brown hair. And a Baptist.

Next of kin is Florence Louisa Springthorpe.

Steve.
    Last edited by stepives; 17-09-2011 at 8:25 PM. Reason: more info

BeeJay

Further to Steve's reply to Steve, Harry enlisted in Fredericton, New Brunswick and was with the "New Brunswick Kilties - Sir Sam's Own."

Canadian WW1 service records can be ordered through Library and Archives Canada, for just the cost of photocopying. There is an option now to have them scanned and delivered via a url link, rather than by post. The records I've ordered have cost between $12 and $20.

Steve C

Thanks very much BeeJay for your reply. Now off to research the information and details you give in your reply.

Thanks very much also Steve for confirming the Census information. Just wondering if I could possibly ask whether it would be possible to carry out a search of the 1930 Census if you have access.

Thanks again Steve

BeeJay

Ward 4, Lynn City, Essex County, Mass.
    41 High Rock St.

Sidney SPRINGTHORPE, head, age 22, born England
    Wife Minnie, age 20, born Mass. (both parents born Italy)
    Daughter Betty, age 1, born Mass.
    Son Sidney age 4 mo., born Mass.
    Sidney is a worker in a Wood (Hut?).

I haven’t spotted Harry or Florence in 1930.

From the SSDI Minnie was born 6 Mar 1910 and died 24 May 1990; I don’t see Sidney listed.

BeeJay

From a 1923 Directory for Lynn:
    Springthorpe Harry (Louisa) edgetrimmer h 23 Ridgeway

A 1930 Directory for Lynn says that Sidney is a Woodheeler.

In 1951 he is a clerk living at 159 Blossom.
    In 1953 Minnie is widow of Sidney, living at 159 Blossom.

Steve C

Thankyou very much BeeJay for your last two replies, fantastic information, that will keep me busy for a while updating my family tree details.

I wonder what happened to Harry and Florence?? Perhaps they came back to the UK as I`ve found them on passenger lists during the late 1920s through to the mid 1935s although they always appear to be travelling seperately for some reason.

Didn`t know about Sidney marrying Minnie or their children. Is there anyway I can find out about where and when they got married?

Many thanks again

Steve

BeeJay

Steve I replied by pm.