Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    hawkeyeage

Default Walton - a parish in Hampshire?

Hi

Trying to locate a marriage between a William Price and Ann, who were residing in Holborn, London by the time of the 1841 census. I've had no joy finding 100% a marriage in London/Middlesex but turned my attention to Hampshire.

On the 1851 census, they had moved to Southwark Christchurch. William was born 1791 in Shoreditch but Ann's birth date is listed as 1801 and her birthplace looks like Walton, Hampshire.
    I've searched Hampshire but cannot find Walton (I know of Walton-on-Thames in Surrey).

Can anybody assist on the existence of 'Walton' or perhaps suggest alternatives?

Regards
    Adrian

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Walton,(North Bucks) Nr.Milton Keynes, Bucks.

Walton, Aylesbury, Bucks.

Not much help really.

Steve.

Mutley

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    William Price is quite a common name could you possibly give the census references please.
    What was William's occupation?

In Adrians abscence, it is..... HO107; Piece: 1557; Folio: 323; Page: 60. Southwark, Christchurch, Surrey.

His occupation is a Waterman.

Steve.
    Last edited by stepives; 17-09-2011 at 1:25 PM. Reason: correction

Mutley

Thanks Stepives, I've now also found it and the 1841 (I think).

Here is says that both William and Ann were born in the county of Middlesex as are the three children,
    Alice age 14, William age 13 and Sarah age 8.
    HO107/669 Folio/42 Page/4 (Copyright of TNA)

Reputation beyond repute

How about Walton Heath?

https://www.
    streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=461500&Y=109500&A=Y&Z=120

Parish of Boarhunt, I believe.

Snap....I have just found that. 1841, that is.

Mutley

I am not sure why you say that you cannot find suitable marriages in Middlesex, there are several William Price to an Ann in the right time frame but it is difficult pre registration because the parish registers give so little information. There are a couple at St. Leonards, Shoreditch.

Working back there are possible baptisms
    Alice, 11 Dec 1825 at Lambeth d. of William and Ann, living Williams Bldgs. William was a Coachman (the 1851 does say Coachman as well as Waterman)
    William 10 Sept 1828 at Lambeth d. of William and Ann, living Neptune? Crt. William was a Coachman.

This could point to a Surrey marriage if they were in this area baptising children.

I cannot find a baptism for Sarah but this may be her marriage.
    9 March 1851 at St. Brides Fleet Street. She was a minor, the daughter of William, a Waterman and living at George Road, Blackfriars. (William and Ann lived 4 George Road).
    She married Robert Peters.

There is a record of banns called at St. Brides for a William Price and Ann Long in 1820, perhaps Sarah married in the same church as her parents?

Perhaps you have this information and more and can help us work backwards with the right William and Ann. Were there children born before Alice?