Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    R1234

Default Davis/Davies, Jenkins - Looking for any info

As a newbie I'm looking to discover the parents names, thier lodgings and grave sites of a Jenkins Davis b. 1836/38 in Glamorgan perhaps Merthyr Tyfdil. Jenkins Davis married an Elizabeth Thomas (1859 to 1862) whose father was a William Thomas and mother went by Polly. Jenkins may also be Jenkin abd his fathers name was David Davis. Jenkin also had atleast one sister; first name unkown.

Jenkin migrated to the coal fields in Pennslyvania around 1860-1863. He may have gone alone and then his bride to follow. He may have left from Liverpool. Documentation points to his first born David to have been born in Wales. All of his other children were born in the US. He had four sons in total. I'm interested in using the membership to allow someone to research this information to see if some matches can be found.

There is a possible marriage March quarter 1861 Merthyr Tydfil Vol 11a page 365
    Jenkin DAVIES and Elizabeth THOMAS are on the same page.

You don't specify where your house is () but you can get copies of certificates online here

The certificate would give you the name of Jenkin's father.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by R1234 View Post
    As a newbie I'm looking to discover the parents names, thier lodgings and grave sites of a Jenkins Davis b. 1836/38 in Glamorgan perhaps Merthyr Tyfdil. Jenkins Davis married an Elizabeth Thomas (1859 to 1862) whose father was a William Thomas and mother went by Polly. Jenkins may also be Jenkin abd his fathers name was David Davis. Jenkin also had atleast one sister; first name unkown.
    One possibility in the census is this ...

1851: HO107; Piece: 2458; Folio: 527; Page: 18 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan
    DAVIES, David 45, iron miner
    DAVIES, Mary 39
    DAVIES, Jenkin 14, coal miner
    DAVIES, David 11
    DAVIES, John 10
    DAVIES, Margaret 7
    DAVIES, James 1
    All born in Merthyr Tydfil

In the 1861 census there is this and yes, the wife appears to be 15.
    1861: RG9; Piece: 4054; Folio: 39; Page: 12 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    3 Ball Court Lane, Merthyr Tydfil
    DAVIES, Jenkin 23, head, coal miner
    DAVIES, Elizabeth 15, wife,
    Both born in Merthyr Tydfil

How certain are you that Jenkin(s) was born in Merthyr Tydfil. Also, do you have an approximate birth date for his wife Elizabeth?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    1861: RG9; Piece: 4054; Folio: 39; Page: 12 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    3 Ball Court Lane, Merthyr Tydfil
    DAVIES, Jenkin 23, head, coal miner
    DAVIES, Elizabeth 15, wife
    Both born in Merthyr Tydfil

.... Also, do you have an approximate birth date for his wife Elizabeth?
    I think I've just answered one of my own questions as I noticed this from the 1880 US census...

Plymouth, Luzerne, Pennsylvania
    Jenkin Davis 42, head, miner, Wales
    Elizabeth Davis 33, wife, keeping house, Wales
    David Davis 16, son, Wales
    Henry Davis 12, son, Pennsylvania
    Evor Davis 4, son, Pennsylvani
    Tollesene Davis 8m, son, Pennsylvani
    (source Family Search)

Hmm! on the 1900 census, her birth date changes to Feb 1842.

"Jenkins Davis born 1836/38 in Glamorgan, maybe Merthyr Tydfil"

Merthyr Tydfil - Parish Church of St Tydfil

Baptism - Jenkin Davies, father George, Miner, mother Ann, baptised 14 May 1837, Ynysfachn
    (Couldn't find a Jenkins Davis baptism)

Possible parents - Marriage - George Davies, of this parish and Ann Richards, of this Parish, 24 Aug 1833
    (Only had time to check this one Parish Church).

R1234

Default Thank you so much

Wow, how wonderful to see parish data so quickly. The best guess is that Jenkins mother's name was Elizabeth but their is no certainty in this. Generally, speaking do parish records show siblings of Jenkins and/or do they show the final resting place of George and Ann? Of course the greater question is how many parishes are electronic searchable out of the entire number of parishes located in Glamorgan? This would provide a full scope of understanding the magnitude of needed searches.
    Again, thank you so much, what a thrill to see any information. Hopefully as a wander throughout the forums I do not create any duplicity of information.

R1234

Thank you for finding this information. This is the US information and is the jump off point to move backwards in time to Wales and relatives.

R1234

This seems more likable information and the point of interest would be if Margaret migrated to US and married an Mr. Edwards in PA.

R1234

Hi Sue,

Thank you. I'm getting better at using the forum, so hopefully my information doesn't get scattered about to much. I live in the US and specifically in CA. I will send of for the certificate, shortly.

R1234

I think that's a womans' perogative at some point!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast