LilyAllenFan86

Default Actor T P Conniford

A distant reletive of mine was an actor named T P Conniford his real name was Thomas William Peters he had been born on March 2nd 1862 in Paddington, London an only child born to George Jackson Peters and Emma Evans.
    He is in the 1881 census living with his widowed Mother he and their lodger Frederick W Sims are dramatic artists, his stage name was T P Conniford he married in Yarmouth, Norfolk on 9 January 1882 to an Emily Ball and would have just two children Vernon John Conniford Peters and Hettie Eva Conniford Peters.
    I have already acquired some bits and pieces about his work as an actor he had been a member at one point of Mr Auguste Creamers celtic comedy-drama company where he had acted in the pantamime 'Sinbad the Sailor', on December 3 1881 in Great Yarmouth at the theatre royal he acted in 'The Sea of Ice', he also acted in an unknown play to be in Wrexham in 1883 alongside an actress named Mrs Marie Hannan.
    There was a theatrical company called Holland & Conniford combination company that maybe could be him, his death was mentioned in 'The Era' newspaper he died on August 6th 1900 in Northwich of consumption.
    I would like to find out some more things about his career if possible such as any other plays he had any parts in or any websites anyone knows that could be helpful in my search, I would be very grateful for the help.

Kind Regards
    Beth

Dizzy600

Did you watch WDYTYA last night? The Victoria & Albert Museum has a archive of all actors and actresses so it maybe worthwhile contacting them.

Google "The Stage Archive". For a very modest fee you can get a 24 hour pass to view digital copies of The Stage. As well as finding advertisements for plays that my actor ancestors were in, I also found a couple of BMDs in the personal columns.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy600 View Post
    Did you watch WDYTYA last night? The Victoria & Albert Museum has a archive of all actors and actresses so it maybe worthwhile contacting them.
    What the archivist said was that they have a list of all actors and actresses who played on the London stage between 16 something and 19 something, not a list of all actors and actresses. If he never played a London Theatre he won't be on there. But you won't know that until you ask. It isn't available online so you have to go to the V&A
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    It isn't available online so you have to go to the V&A
    The theatre archives are not at the V&A, but in a great warren of a building called Blythe House, near Kensington Olympia. You could try emailing them?

www.
    vam.ac.uk/content/articles/t/archives-theatre-performance/

I have emailed them but there hasn't been enough time to receive a reply yet.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.

I have received an answer which includes some jolly good advice about getting started with theatrical research. Most of the things they suggest I have already done - I have photocopies of a huge number of reviews and adverts - and the reply says that my query has been passed on to someone who will reply in the next few days!!!
    Excited now, even if they don't find anything it is still a useful answer.